banana for body

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granda

Reaction score
if i want to add a little body to wine ,im making a pomagrante and pinapple juice wine,can i use a banana and how do i do it or can i just add a little tannin

use 3 overripe bananas to a gallon.. boil up the bananas in a small amount of water, strain off the juice and add the juice to your primary.

Allie

reposted from a previous thread on here,

'Bananas are one fruit able to impart body to a wine, and they are frequently used as a substitute or addition to grape juice. Their own flavor, however, is rather pronounced. This can be reduced by discarding the skins, chopping the fruit into water and boiling for about fifteen minutes, during which time the pungent chemicals responsible for the strong banana flavor are driven off. The body which the resulting liquor provides in a finished wine is due to the presence of unfermentable compounds in solution - chiefly glycerol-like molecules, which give a viscous appearance.'

link to site here

http://www.home-winemaking.com/winemaking-2.html

interesting that this breaks down into something similar to glycerine..

Allie

And I can attest what Allie says is right on. Just add before you clear if you think you need more body. reason is it will cloud it up some.
Just don't do it a week before bottling...remember patience X 3

I add the banana juice to the primary and let it all ferment out together.

Allie

can i make the banana syrup and freeze it or does it have to be fresh,this would be alot easier as bananas tend to disappear quickly in my house

can i make the banana syrup and freeze it or does it have to be fresh,this would be alot easier as bananas tend to disappear quickly in my house

Yes. Or you can just peel the bananas and freeze them whole for later.

Allie

Latest posts

Back