Balloon airlock and CO²

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking around for one of these shops you folks are speaking of.. I'm from the NW of Wash state, Bellingham area. I know of some breweries around here, but that's it, and that doesn't really help me at all.

The kits look a little to spendy for my budget right now, but I may check those out down the line.

Thanks for the tips everyone, it's greatly appreciated Also this sugar wine appears to be coming along swimmingly.

OK Bellingham is basically a suburb of Canada. Pretty much any decent size community in Canada has a wine making store. Unfortunately BC is Ferment on Premises country, and some FoPs don't like home wine makers.

For example it is 27 miles from Bellingham to Coastal Winemakers (between Surrey & White Rock). Call them but I'll bet that they get lots of American customers.

http://www.coastalwinemakers.com/

There are also stores in Seattle (try Googling "wine making Seattle").

Steve

I decided to end fermenation today. The good news is that it smells like alcohol in there, the bad news is that there a sour smell, and some soot seems to have collected on the different contours of the bottle, and Im not sure if it's dead yeast or not,

Could this concoction be possible harmful?

That comes as no surprise!!! Seriously though, unless you're in prison or homeless or something, there's no reason you have to be making your booze in such a haphazard fashion... scrape up ten bucks, buy a proper airlock, some KMS (potassium metabisulphite) for sanitizing, some proper wine yeast and some apple juice/apple cider and you'll be able to make a drinkable (and maybe even good) hard cider or apple wine. It's not alot of extra work or money to make it and it will likely turn out a fair bit better than your Balloon-and-Bread-Yeast-Sugar-Liqueur!!!! I hope you're not offended by my reply... but I'm serious... If you pick up some basic supplies and do a bit of research, you'll probably have more fun, and turn out better results rather than being disappointed (and no stomach aches, either!!)

That comes as no surprise!!! Seriously though, unless you're in prison or homeless or something, there's no reason you have to be making your booze in such a haphazard fashion... scrape up ten bucks, buy a proper airlock, some KMS (potassium metabisulphite) for sanitizing, some proper wine yeast and some apple juice/apple cider and you'll be able to make a drinkable (and maybe even good) hard cider or apple wine. It's not alot of extra work or money to make it and it will likely turn out a fair bit better than your Balloon-and-Bread-Yeast-Sugar-Liqueur!!!! I hope you're not offended by my reply... but I'm serious... If you pick up some basic supplies and do a bit of research, you'll probably have more fun, and turn out better results rather than being disappointed (and no stomach aches, either!!)
Youre the second person to think I'd be offended by your comment..

Let me tell you folks, I was previously a member of a very immature forum, so the level of maturity Im seeing here is a grace, and in no means am I offended by helpful comments.

If you read my other posts, you would understand that this was just a cheap-o first attempt, and I definitely plan on progessing in this hobby.

Thankyou every for your insights, it's greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back