Bad sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PandemoniumWines

Save the Winos
Reaction score
watermelon peach wine.. 3 months ago, g0.998, kmeta, sorbate. 2 months ago, I sweetened it. I have 2 carboys of it.

Today one carboy started bubbling. Like a 2 liter of Sprite opened an hour ago. It’s been going for a few hours.

Bad sorbate?

Happy thanksgiving!

If this was sitting put on your shelf then I would say it has gone bad plus as DrAlarms stated how long did it sit on the shelf before you bought it. You can get possibly one year if it is kept in the frigerator.

The other carboy started bubbling too. That’s really weird. They’re in different locations, still for 3 months, and start refermenting on the same day.

Figures, I was just at the lhbs yesterday, too.

Look on the bright side, you caught it while still in the carboy and not when the corks started popping. Sure makes for an easier cleanup. Good luck with it, Arne.

Roughly 3 months since last rack/kmeta, snuck a taste. Fizzy, hot as hell, vaguely watermelony, and the gravity is back down to 1.002 :( I'd like to add more watermelon flavor and bring the ABV down, but being as how it's January, all I could find really was this -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017FGEQ88/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Ingredients look okay? The only thing I wasn't sure about was "xanthan gum." Since I need to sweeten it again anyway, it seems like a winner. I did buy new sorbate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back