bad smell in 6 batches !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokomimi

Junior
Reaction score
i'm trying to make a good wine and i make 6 batches just for testing ... I used Welch's concord and another brand of grape juice.. all of them i used yeast nutrient .. 3 used bread yeast .. 3 with lalvin RC-212 .. but all of them have the bad smell i'm not sure if it Sulfur dioxide or hydrogen sulfide ? i don't know the difference between them ... the temp is 75 to 80 maximum .. still in primary fermentation 7 days with airlocks on..

what to do?

Agree with Sal, but would add that if you're at the end of fermentation you might want to add a bit of extra kmeta if you are going to aerate it significantly. Given the temperature I'd be surprised if you're not almost done with fermentation. Can you describe the odor? Also, how did you use the nutrient, did you put it all in or staggered? Bad smell can be any number of things including stressed yeast, an infection, or it could just be a smelly fermentation with nothing "wrong". We've had a few funky ones.

The first time I made wine I used grape juice as per instructions. The smell was awful. I have never used grape juice again and have never had a problem like it before. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back