Bad Odour from wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzmeister

Reaction score
I came home from work yesterday went down stairs to my fermenting room, which is about 68 degrees and was greeted with a foul odor coming from my wine kit, that was fermenting in my primary, it is a niagra mist black cherry pinot noir it has been fermenting for 5 days now and the air lock has slowed down, compared to the day before my last batch of this same wine kit, had a very sweet smell from it, and I am wondering if I should wait it out, or is there something I should be doing about it?

1. Take an sg reading

2. Describe the foul odour.

3. How many kits have you made? Cause fermentation can produce some funky odours.

Steve

Steve I am at work right now cant take a SG reading right now, but the smell is kind of sour to me, and this presently, will be my 5th kit that I am making, all the others had a very nice fruity smell to them.

Steve I got home from work and took a SG test on it, and it is at 0.998 I started this kit on friday march 13, maybe thats why it smells the instructions state that you should leave it for 7 days before racking it to a carboy, and the SG should be less than 1,010, now I know it is only 5 days, but should I transfer it to a carboy now, or wait another day, take a SG test and see if it is the same, or lower, and by the way and my wife says that it smells like a very strong yeast, all my other kits smelled so sweet compared to this one.

You probably should transfer to a carboy now, as the sg is lower than 1.010 now. I would expect the sg to drop to about .995. Wait till day 14 (or whatever the instructions say) before stabilizing, clearing, and adding the fruit pack.

I have a Niag Mist Sangria White Zin in process. Started Feb 4 (sg 1.057). To carboy Feb 12 (.996). Stab/clear/fruit Feb 26 (.994). Probably will filter and bottle in the next week or so.

Strong Yeast, Funky Smell, yeah sounds right. But I don't really notice anymore.

Steve

Some wines will smell different as they ferment. I think this wine is most likely problem free as HS02 usually takes longer then this to show itself and have never heard of any sulfur problems with these kits.

I had the same problem. The first few days, the whole house smelled like a$$. After about 3 or 4 days, it smelled like bread. I'm at work and can't remember the exact yeast I used, but one of my books mentioned that there was a yeast that was particularily smelly.
What type yeast it it? I'm sure some of the veterens could tell you from the top of their heads which one it is that's known for smelling.

I've checked and it was montrachet yeast that is known for excess H2S gas.

That is very true if not enough nutrients are used. I always add 1 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp of energizer per gallon of wine and never have a problem and I use this yeast a lot along with Cotes Des Blanc.

Latest posts

Back