Bad Habits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i've grew into a very bad habit, of which i plan to change,,
i have gotten in to the habit of bottling 10 to 50 cases at a time, then forget what's what, i'm breaking that habit from here on out, I'll only bottle one type, wheiter it be 2 or 3 cases or 25 cases of only one type, then label and put in storage, then and only then will,, i start the next type of wine, good Lord willing, I'll start bottleing tomorrow, got me a few extra packs of ink, got a pile of unopened cases of bottles, another stack of clean bottles, i went about getting things ready, sadly i found about 4 cases of bottles with labels not yet cleaned, so come morning i'm cleaning bottles, with hopes of bottling a few small batches, i got 1# 6-gal of banana , 1# 6 gal of frezzer dump, at 2 years of aging, well at least i hope to get that much for starters, going to half to get up early..
i gotta first hook all the mules to the barn wall, poor, poor me, I hope my arm don't break patting myself on the back, pour,, poue mi,,, if i had a brain it would rattle,
Dawg

Yeah, I've had a similar problem. A couple of times I had 7 or 8 carboys of wine underway, some reds, some whites. They were unlabeled and it took a bit of forensic detective work to remember which varieties were in which carboys. Now, I label each carboy with the variety and dates of actions completed

My dad made wine when I was growing up, and he still had his log books and gave them to me when I started making wine last year. I don't remember how he labeled the carboys, but I do remember he would write the batch number on each cork - he never had labels that I recall and it was before personal computers/printers. So I have mostly started out with good record keeping habits. I also don't have room to have as many batches of deliciousness going at once, like Dawg has!

On each carboy I have going, I hang a sheet protector with twine to hold it around the neck. Into the sheet protector goes a sheet of paper with recipe, even kits. This gives me a very quick place to pull out the sheet, make notes, put sampling information, record everything I do to that batch. After they are done, the sheets of paper go into a notebook. It works for me.

If I bottle multiple things at the same time, each box gets a colored dot on it, same dot goes on the note sheet. Easy enough to know what's in what.

Yeah, I've had a similar problem. A couple of times I had 7 or 8 carboys of wine underway, some reds, some whites. They were unlabeled and it took a bit of forensic detective work to remember which varieties were in which carboys. Now, I label each carboy with the variety and dates of actions completed

I was definitely guilty of looking on the floor and discovering the tape from the carboy came off and trying to rember which one it belonged to. I got so fed-up I made reusable labels to hang on the carboys now. = Reusable Carboy Tags - 2 sided –dry erase,permanent marker,grease pen

I just recently started putting labels on our bottles and dressing them up a bit - The labels peel off easily with no residue and costs around .30 each bottle.

wine bottles with labels (1).jpg

I was definitely guilty of looking on the floor and discovering the tape from the carboy came off and trying to rember which one it belonged to. I got so fed-up I made reusable labels to hang on the carboys now. = Reusable Carboy Tags - 2 sided –dry erase,permanent marker,grease pen

I just recently started putting labels on our bottles and dressing them up a bit - The labels peel off easily with no residue and costs around .30 each bottle.

View attachment 78227
Nice job

I'm so ghetto, I have a 2"x2" piece of paper taped to the bottle, with the type and date written on it! I don't care, my taste testers don't care, easy peasy lol! It's just a single piece of tape, securing the tag as well!
It's all about the wine.
oh you just made me hurt,, i'm laughing so hard,,,,
Dawg

Lovely labels, but I don't dress my bottles in such fashionable clothes. I do attach a label (copy paper with a glue stick). but the label is very instrumental. It identifies the wine, its main ingredients, the yeast, the ABV, the sweetness level and the date when I pitched the yeast and when I bottled the wine.

The last batch I bottled was a month ago and I did something I've not done before. It was a WE Reserve Amarone that came with labels so I used them but still added my normal dry erase bottle notes of Kit # and bottling date. What I did different was to also number the bottles. 1/30, 2/30 and so on. Not sure if it's something I will keep doing. Just trying it.

The last batch I bottled was a month ago and I did something I've not done before. It was a WE Reserve Amarone that came with labels so I used them but still added my normal dry erase bottle notes of Kit # and bottling date. What I did different was to also number the bottles. 1/30, 2/30 and so on. Not sure if it's something I will keep doing. Just trying it.
Maybe I'm missing something, but what is the benefit of numbering the bottles?

I don't number bottles but I think that that is a great idea I have often considered. This for two very different reasons. First, if I pick a bottle sequentially, and I have in my hand 25/30 I know immediately that there should be 5 bottles remaining. AND secondly, even if I don't pick bottles sequentially but have numbered them in the order I bottled them I may treat the first bottle and certainly the last bottle from that batch as more likely to be a possibly poorer bottle: the last MAY have more potential for lees or be sweeter; the first may be less sweet - all other things being equal.

I don't number bottles but I think that that is a great idea I have often considered. This for two very different reasons. First, if I pick a bottle sequentially, and I have in my hand 25/30 I know immediately that there should be 5 bottles remaining. AND secondly, even if I don't pick bottles sequentially but have numbered them in the order I bottled them I may treat the first bottle and certainly the last bottle from that batch as more likely to be a possibly poorer bottle: the last MAY have more potential for lees or be sweeter; the first may be less sweet - all other things being equal.
I label the first and last bottle with a note to that affect written right on the label.

Your fist reason is why I did it. Mine are not numbered in the sequence they were bottled but I like that idea and may do that next time. My setup requires that the bottles get moved a couple of times before getting laid in the rack for bottle aging. I would have to add a layer of discipline to number them sequentially. I get the last bottle being different but why would the first?

Back