bad chokecherry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you identify astringent flavor? A common place to get astringent is green banana peel, ,, a feeling of drying the mouth, a feeling where the smoothness is gone in the mouth, pomegranate has some astringent.
,,, astringent is said to be related to long chain tannin complexes which can be removed with a protein fining agent.
oxidized ethyl alcohol (acetaldehyde) is a burn in the back of the throat at high level and apple like aroma at low level.
… acetaldehyde can not be removed
flavors go through the mouth in waves, sweet is fast followed by acid, ,, bitter (tannic) and astringent take longer.

letting air on a wine will change it from a sweet alcohol to the acetaldehyde (oxidized ethyl alcohol) and may allow growth of vinegar producing Acetobacter. As a rule NEVER allow free access of oxygen to an alcohol solution.

Thank you for the education! I think after reading your comment & a link suggested by Raptor99, I think it is oxidized. It is sort of brown looking, not red anymore. I posted my notes on what I did in this thread. Sooo, next batch after pitching should I put the airlock back on carboy until I am ready to bottle??

K.. let me see if I can describe this well enough from my notes:

Started with 1 G wide mouth jar w/airlock - all equipment sanitized & dried
64 oz Cran-Pomegranate
32 oz Mango Juice
32 oz Concord Grape juice
16 oz Cran-Raspberry Juice
1 c sugar
Dissolved 1/2 tsp yeast on 2/26/22 & was at 18 SG
on 3/5 - I noted the color had gotten very red and SG at 20 (?). Was in a colder room so gave it a few more days to ferment.
3/13 - SG @ 1 but was fizzy & tasted tart and at 17% ABV (?). Soaked .26 oz of chips for 2 days.
3/15 - Pithed the wine w/ 1/2 tsp k-sorbate & covered carboy with cheesecloth
3/18 - Still fizzy so put in another 1/2 tsp K-Sorbate
3/26 - Pitched again. SG at 1. Flavor was really light & not juicy or sweet. Tried back sweeting - and NO tasted worse.
Let it sit with cheesecloth on top of carboy. Today (4/12), You can smell the pomagranet and maybe a slight vinagar smell, but on taste - BLICK. Hard to describe, but yeah kinda vinegarie. It does leave a dry tongue, and what I can only describe as tasting off.
I thought this was a chokecherry topic?

I believe K-sorbate doesn’t kill yeast just prevents it from multiplying. Need to add k-meta too. Is a there a reason you aren’t letting it stop fermentation before adding it?

I thought this was a chokecherry topic?

I believe K-sorbate doesn’t kill yeast just prevents it from multiplying. Need to add k-meta too. Is a there a reason you aren’t letting it stop fermentation before adding it?
I'm sorry, I had just done a search for wording similar to my problem & didn't notice the topic. I did let it go until end of fermentation & then added the K-Sorbate. I just thought I didn't add enough because it was still fizzy

I'm sorry, I had just done a search for wording similar to my problem & didn't notice the topic. I did let it go until end of fermentation & then added the K-Sorbate. I just thought I didn't add enough because it was still fizzy
Try agitating it to release the carbon dioxide. Stir it lots and rapidly. But if it’s fizzing lots it’s probably not done fermenting.

Latest posts

Back