Bacon!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't know you had a smokehouse in the backyard!

4-diy-smokehouse-ideas.jpg

Looks suspiciously like a Weber grill to me!

Eagle eye there, Mike! LOL!

Just got it off the smoke and sliced off a couple small bites for me and the kids. Just heavenly! Will chill it down and slice it up in the coming days.

Time and temp?

It's done when it's done. This one started at 6lbs. I filled the baskets with unlit and smoke wood and put 3-4 lit coals in each basket. Grill temps started around 150 and went as high as 250 (windy here today). All in all, it was about 90 minutes and I wait until internal temps are near 140.

My basic recipe is linked below. I usually augment with a little extra pepper, and some thyme and bay leaves. I leave the water out. In my opinion, it isn't needed - after a 7-10 day cure, there's a lot of liquid in the bag. I apply the mix as if it were a dry rub, then bag it and put it in the fridge for 7-10 days, flipping over once a day. On smoke day, I take it out, rinse it off, pat dry and put back in the fridge on a cooling rack (in a baking pan) for a couple hours to dry it out. I smoke it at a low temp (under 200 if possible) until it hits an internal temp of 140. Then, back into a bag and into an ice bath to stop the cooking. After that, into the fridge for at least 24 hours before slicing. I put it in the freezer for an hour or so before I slice, then I vacuum seal and freeze.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/how-make-smoked-bacon-home

Latest posts

Back