Baco Noir and Seyval Blanc in Utah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any spray we can do to help reducing early spring cold damage? I think there should be some, but I do just do not know....

You mean, like water? You do need to be careful, however, as spraying can make things worse if done incorrectly:

Use of sprinklers can protect vines when temperatures fall to -3.9°C (25°F), if conditions are ideal. Water from the sprinklers supplies heat to the vine-water- atmosphere system. The heat is released as water cools to 0°C (32°F) and then freezes to ice. The most important factor in this situation is the heat of fusion (released as water freezes to ice). A gallon of water releases 300kcal (1200 BTU) of heat as it freezes. Water is also evaporating in the vine-water-atmosphere system. The evaporation of water causes a loss of 2300kcal (9000 BTU) per gallon. Therefore, to maintain a positive heat balance, more water must freeze than evaporates. This amount has been determined to be factor of 7.5 units of water or more for every unit of water that evaporates. This, along with a buffer for the humidity of the air and wind speed (factors which can increase the evaporation rate) is the basis for the sprinkler application rate used in the design of systems. The recommended application rate is 6.9 to 8.2 hectare-millimeters (0.11 to 0.13 acre-inches) per hour or a pumping capacity of 470 liters per minute per hectare (50 gallons per minute per acre).

See also: http://biomet.ucdavis.edu/frostprotection/Principles%20of%20Frost%20Protection/FP005.html

Spraying something is just some idea came to my mind. I did not even know what to spray. Originally I think was thinking of some type of oil, coating the new growth with a wax like thin layer of protection. At least that is better than having the buds exposed. I've never tried and I do not know if it works....

There are several products out there that can be sprayed onto vines to supposedly protect them from frost. I don't even remember their names because I don't use them. I only have anecdotal heresay about their use. Some people swear they work and yet I know of at least one individual that says he lost all the vines sprayed with the product he used and yet the ones he ran out of spray before treating them were unharmed. I don't think I would worry too much about it yet as your vines are so young. If they freeze you won't lose a crop because they shouldn't be bearing yet anyways.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1428355936.138902.jpg

I guess I have more to learn about frost. It was below freezing for 3 hours, and got as low as 25. There was hardly any damage done.

Count your blessings in a couple days. Sometimes the damage shows up after a few days. If no damage then, hopefully you are past the worst.

Time for an update. Everything is looking good, except for the first row that got hit with 2-4-D. ImageUploadedByWine Making1434340568.088978.jpg

I ordered the Tapener yesterday. I hope it makes this work easier!!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1434340636.934196.jpg

Still flowering, and it smells wonderful.

Second, I'm cluster thinning, leaf pulling, spraying son of a *****! God! I had no idea how much work this would be! Love every minute. I drink wine in the evening in my vineyard! I feel like Noah!

Gotcha, I was wondering if you had any disease pressure. None here but we are having one of the wettest Summers on record so I am keeping my eyes on the vines each day.

Latest posts

Back