Backsweetening Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill W

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone use a commercial strawberry syrup to do their backsweetening? I don't think I'm going to need to add a lot of syrup and it seems like it would be easier. I know it will take longer to clear, but this is my first effort and I don't expect anything close to the primo results ya'll real experienced types get. I just want to have something drinkable in 6 or 7 months, I know it probably be a year, leave me my illusions.

Its basically what I used for my strawberry chocolate port except mine was from a farm stand and was all natural.

I used a blackberry syrup for the Loganberry batch. It was more for flavor and alittle added color than to sweeten it. I added 1 bottle after straining out the fruit pulp which left about 2/3 of the bottle of just syrup. Did help with the fruit flavor though. Watch what additives it has since you wont want to add a bunch of unneeded chemicals.

And whats the name of this stuff and where to find it

"MaMa's Choice" Whole Blackberry Syrup is the brand name and I found it at Big Lots for $3.00 a 12oz bottle.Ingredients are : Corn syrup,whole blackberries with juice, pure cane sugar, water and a dash of lemon juice. No need to cook it down it is pretty condenced now.

Does anyone use a commercial strawberry syrup to do their backsweetening? I don't think I'm going to need to add a lot of syrup and it seems like it would be easier. I know it will take longer to clear, but this is my first effort and I don't expect anything close to the primo results ya'll real experienced types get. I just want to have something drinkable in 6 or 7 months, I know it probably be a year, leave me my illusions.

I know others probably just add the juice then add simple syrup, but what I did with my strawberry batch was crush and strain about 3lbs of strawberries (I used 11lbs in my 3 gal batch) then made a simple syrup substituting the juice for the water and bolied it down for a few minutes. I didn't quite use 2 parts sugar to 1 part juice - it was more like 1.5 parts sugar to 1 part juice.

Takes a while to clear plus it has to be racked again as a lot of sediment/pulp from the addition of more strawberries settles out from this method. Works for me.

I also made a strawberry and I got the recipe from Wade for the chocolate strawberry port and in his recipe it calls for monin strawberry syrup so I figured since I already had the syrup I went ahead and back sweetened with that and so far it has turned out just fine it had enough sugar to flavor ratio for me and I just added it to my taste.

Hows that coming port coming along Topsy? I ststed to use that cause its available everywhere. I hope you like it!

I've used commercial blackcurrant syrup to sweeten up a batch of my berry port.. that worked out fine.. cleared ok. i figure it doesn't really matter if it has preservatives in it once you have already stabilised the wine.

Allie

Wade the port is coming along great!! I will be bottling Here very soon, and my wife and I cannot wait to try it. It smells wonderful!! If it tastes as great ad it smells then we will be in business! Thanks again for the recipe. Cheers

Hope you like it, everyone else loves it and my wifes Aunt took one sip and took 6 bottles home with her to Michigan. Might have to make some more soon.

Whats that like? Pancake syrup?
Yes I guess it is pancake syrup but very thick. I strained out the berries and used the syrup. It added some color and alot of flavor. I had to let it settle out for a couple weeks but it cleared pretty quickly. All natural with no additives of any kind. There was a blueberry one as well.

Latest posts

Back