Backsweetening mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
This is only the second time I am backsweetening my wines. The first time I did it, I used syrup. Now I decided to use half honey and half sugar. I dissolved sugar and honey in a sample of wine and added to my banana wine. Also I added 1/2 tsp of sorbate per gallon dissolved in a sample of wine as well. Before backsweetening the wine was crystal clear and now after 2 days passed it is still cloudy. Sorbate is new, just purchased but I believe my method of backsweetening was wrong. I didn't a research and I believe I should have dissolve sugar and honey in hot water. Am I correct? How long does it take to clear it now?

Honey contains proteins which can create a cloud/ turbidity when used for back sweetening. I have used it for sweetening and then just lived with slight turbidity.

not a cloud but, ,,, If Floating white particle there is some tartaric/ potassium chemistry related to the potassium sorbate. Sorbate should be dissolved by itself.

Latest posts

Back