backsweetening gravity?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this a while and figured there must be some rules of thumb out there.

Assuming we start with a dry wine... When backsweetening to a semi-dry, (or semi-sweet, sweet, etc) what gravity should we shoot for?

Also, about what volume of simple syrup should we start with when tryin to achieve these gravities, assuming a one or five gallon batch?

Do my questions make sense?

1st back sweetening is to YOUR taste.

Make a qt of syrup (2 qts sugar in 1 qt boiling water)

Now add slowly and mixing with your degasser. Once you like the sweetness levey ck the gravity. Now WRITE it diwn for your next batch of same wine. You will be adding different amts to different fruits.

I normally start with 1/3 cup sugar to 1 gallon of wine. I heat the wine in a stock pot to about 110* and add the sugar while stirring. From .995 this should get you up to about 1.010 using corn sweetener, which is where I like my wine. I tend to like the dry where the wife likes a bit sweeter. This makes for a good compromise.

one gallon of wine and 8 oz of sugar will raise sg approximately .018

Last edited:
If you make 2 qts. of sweetner, how long will it last? Store in frig.? Or use all at once. thanks, Roy
If you do it right it can last 6 + months. Some here put it in a fridge I dont
I would not add straight sugar to wine. It can be very hard to convert. It will also give you false readings and sweetness.
Always heat up either some wine or watere to convert the sugar.

I'm guessing I can do the same with brown sugar? No need to treat it differently?

I'm guessing I can do the same with brown sugar? No need to treat it differently?
Not sure why you want to use brown sugar. That may leave an unpleasant flavor of molasses in the wine.

You're saying no one uses brown sugar in their wine???? :?

not as a sweetener in a final sweetening, if I'm understanding where he's coming from. Brown sugar is use prior to fermentation. I guess it could be used for re-sweetening, though.:b

Not sure why you want to use brown sugar. That may leave an unpleasant flavor of molasses in the wine.

Tom, I can sure tell you aren't from around here. There are no unpleasant flavors in molasses.

I've used brown sugar to back sweeten some apple wine I made. Everyone that drank it asked for more. Got gone fast so I think it was a hit.

Tom, I can sure tell you aren't from around here. There are no unpleasant flavors in molasses.

I've used brown sugar to back sweeten some apple wine I made. Everyone that drank it asked for more. Got gone fast so I think it was a hit.

LOL. I said "may" not will leave unpleasant taste. Taste is different to everyone. Since you live in the BBQ area you probably use brown sugar on everything especially BBQ rub and sauce.

Well everything does taste better with bbq sauce. LOL.

I would assume it would depend on the fruit. Molasses and apples are a good blend, pears and molasses would be a good blend, even pumpkin and molasses would be a good blend but I don't think strawberries and molasses would be.

I agree with Julie on that some would be good while others not, just like anything we do

Brown sugar is a must in every southern kitchen. We use it for everything. It's kinda like Duct Tape. LOL!!! But, nothing beats putting some Brown Sugar and butter in a hot biscuit.....

I use brown sugar and caramel extract in my hard apple pie recipe and I can't keep any of it around. I've got people offering to buy it. lol.

Well everything does taste better with bbq sauce. LOL.

I would assume it would depend on the fruit. Molasses and apples are a good blend, pears and molasses would be a good blend, even pumpkin and molasses would be a good blend but I don't think strawberries and molasses would be.
I used Brown sugar in Primary(about 1 lb in 6 1/2 gallons) of strawberry when SG was still low and I was out of corn or white sugar. It turned out real good:)
Added note: if you are new just go to Costco and buy a big *** bag of sugar right off, you will always run out and never have enough

I used Brown sugar in Primary(about 1 lb in 6 1/2 gallons) of strawberry when SG was still low and I was out of corn or white sugar. It turned out real good:)
Added note: if you are new just go to Costco and buy a big *** bag of sugar right off, you will always run out and never have enough

I went to grab a 25# bag of sugar a few weeks ago at Sam's club until I read the price per pound. The difference between 10# and 25# bags per pound is only a few cents. It was defiantly better to go with 4-5 10# bags for storage, ease of handling and the fact of a smaller bag being opened.

thanks for all the input. I think I may take the SG of a couple wines that I know I like and shoot for that as a rough target.

Latest posts

Back