Backsweetening Concord

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
My concord is still fermenting but last time I tasted it, I didn't like it. It is going to need some tweaking I think. When you guys use the frozen Welch's juice, do you mix it with anything before you add it to sweeten?

My concord is still fermenting but it has slowed way down. Should be done soon. I'll be racking probably next week.

Catfish,

Be careful of rushing to judgment on the taste of your wine while its in the fermentation process. As you are probably all ready aware, it is good to taste your wine during many phases of the process....Unfortunately, right now (during fermentation) the wine is full of CO2 (by product of yeast converting sugar to alcohol). This CO2 can/will mask the taste of the wine.

Of course, you will want to back sweeten the Concord, but, it may not be as much as you think right now...best of luck

Thank you for the replies. I tested it today after a big lunch and I've decided the taste isn't bad. It's just more dry than the other. Which is ok I think. I may keep it that way for some of my friends who don't like really sweet wines.

On another note. I noticed that all of my carboys have a little condensation in them around the neck. Is this normal? I have them in my basement. It's about 68 degrees and pretty close to the furnace. Thanks again for the replies.

Yes, condensation is normal./ I dont backsweetin Concord with sugar, I add more frozen concentrate. It adds flavor back in that is lost when fermenting dry and does sweeten as well(after stabilizing)

Thank you that is what I was looking for.

This Concord has thrown me for a loop though. It has a dry taste to it. But, the alchohol content is very low. But the fermentation has slowed way down. I'm new at this so maybe I'm overlooking something. I don't know. The last time I checked, it was 1.020

Back