Backing into a Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, there is a chance that I could be both out that way and free to come. I'd like to, but I would wager that it is a small chance that it would work out to make sense for me. Thanks for thinking of me, though!
Paul, that would be very cool to meet you (no pressure intended, if it works out that would be great)!

Assuming my wife can come (she may have started clinicals by then). If not I'll have to figure out what wine I can make her so I can come alone.

Well, I went to a different wine store, and bought a bottle from the Douro DOC. It is a 2015 offering containing 50% Touriga Franca, 30% Touriga Nacional, and 20% Tinta Roriz. (I had never heard of Tinta Roriz, but it turns out that it is "just" Tempranillo.) As for the others, Wikipedia says "Touriga Francesa (or Touriga Franca) is one of the major grape varieties used to produce port wine. Touriga Francesa is lighter and more perfumed than Touriga Nacional, adding finesse to the wine. Touriga Francesa has been described by Jancis Robinson as playing 'Cabernet Franc to Touriga Nacional’s Cabernet Sauvignon'."

Yeah, there is a chance that I could be both out that way and free to come. I'd like to, but I would wager that it is a small chance that it would work out to make sense for me. Thanks for thinking of me, though!
Yes, Tinta Roriz is indeed Tempranillo. I also have to pay a visit to Total Wine. In two weeks I'll be blending my wine. This year I'll be making a 50% Merlot, 35% Syrah, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon blend. I will have a enough left to make a smaller batch 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Syrah. Started in September.

From what I understand Valdepena is also Tempranillo. Not sure why it has so many names.

Huh, that one seems to have a quirky backstory, from what I can gather in as much as 60 seconds of googling ;) There is a wine region (DOC) in Spain called Valdepeñas; the principal grape used there is Tempranillo. Then, "Tempranillo arrived in California bearing the name Valdepeñas, and it was grown in the Central Valley at the turn of the 20th century. Since the climate of the Central Valley was not ideal for the grape, it was used as a blending grape for jug wine," according to Wikipedia.

Just tested SO2 on all my wines and tasted most of them.

Tempranillo at ~3 months was nothing special, meduin bodied at best, not much up front fruit, maybe a little cherry, light tannins. Have not added SO2 yet although MLF showed complete. SO2 level was 5 ppm and did have a little H2S smell. Probably take the sulfite up to 25. This has not yet seen a barrel.

Touriga Nacional same age is very nice for a young wine. Full bodied, dark, maybe plummy, high tannins and some kind of sweet trait at the end. This has also not seen a barrel. This one could be a winner and I see why it is used in Ports.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back