Back to making lower fruit content wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At least for 3 of my favorite country wines. I have gone to the high fruit content simply because the wine has the much fruitier taste that I enjoy. A related problem, however, is that the fruitier pomegranate, blueberry, or blackberry wines have the associated higher vitamin K content that poses a problem for warfarin users. A stupid lack of research on my part combined with a couple of afternoons of drinking some of my outstanding blackberry wine/ pomegranate wine and my INR crashed to a dangerous level. So far, I have gotten by with just a stroke in one eye with an associated loss of about 25 % of my field of vision. Oh well. I would drink these wines even with zero alcohol because I love the tart flavor. Just stupid on my part to not do my normal research.

Oh my I never ever thought of any dangers from these wines. I share wine all the time, so I guess I should ask about meds etc

Since you make your own wine, maybe research which tart fruits do not have high vit K and try making some of these to your taste. Sounds like you do great research, and I bet you will wind up with some wonderful recipes to share with the rest of us.

Pam incinti

Sorry to hear of how the wine affected your sight, NewbendOrfanatic but I thank you for this information. I will be sure to mention this to those I share my wines with.

Vitamin K containing foods aren't necessarily problematic. You just have to eat a consistent amount of them day to day and week to week. The problem for warfarin users is variable amounts of vitamin K over time. So long as ones vitamin K intake is consistent, the provider can adjust the warfarin dosage to keep the INR in range.

Of course, for certain medical conditions, agents known as NOACs (newer oral anticoagulants) are alternatives to warfarin.

Well there is your answer newBendOrfanatic, a steady dose of your favorite country wines. Maybe and IV line will help even out the dose. :D NURSE!

Sorry to hear about situation Newbendorfanatic, and hope you find a way to enjoy the fruits of your labor. I also want to thank you for bringing up the Bit. K issue, I would have never thought about it, and since I'm brewing blueberry wine and a friend has heart problems, you may have just prevented a serious problem. I found a web site that list some of the fruits high in vit. K

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-009104000000000000000-w.html?maxCount=38

Latest posts

Back