Back sweeting with juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of reading on alternative ways to back sweeten wine. one of the complaints that seems to come up over and over is back sweeting with sugar can cover up the wine of its natural flavor. What some wine makers are doing is back sweetening with store boughten grape juice, what they tell us is it blends with the natural flavors better than sugar, has anyone tried this and if so is sorbate needed?

Yes sorbate would be required, else the grape juice would ferment, removing the sweetening effect.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I have some Niagra wine and I was thinking wont it be better to add a it instead of sugar?

Thanks Steve, I have some Niagra wine and I was thinking wont it be better to add a it instead of sugar?
I guess it would depend on the juice. I haven't tried this so I have no experience.

Steve

I am no expert but I let all my wine go dry, then back sweeten.
For me the sugar added brings out the flavor of either my fruit are my grape wine...
I hardly add sorbate, but i let my wine clear, and I make sure the abv is at least 14 percent, before i add sugar...

What is the process of back sweetening? In a 6gal carboy do syphone into bucket than add sugar than back to carboy? If I wud add sugar to carboy it wud over flow I'm sure.

I have been doing a lot of reading on alternative ways to back sweeten wine. one of the complaints that seems to come up over and over is back sweeting with sugar can cover up the wine of its natural flavor. What some wine makers are doing is back sweetening with store boughten grape juice, what they tell us is it blends with the natural flavors better than sugar, has anyone tried this and if so is sorbate needed?

I think they're using cans of concentrate instead of pure juice? The juice would reduce the apv more than concentrate.

boozehound remove some of the wine and put into another container are wine bottle if you have a wine savor..
add your sugar. (simple syrup)...the next time you rack you can top off with the wine you removed prior....

Ok, I tried it had 5 gallons of Niagra wine and back sweeten it with 64 oz. of Niagra juice and it taste really well, very smoth and just like Niagra wine should

Ok, I tried it had 5 gallons of Niagra wine and back sweeten it with 64 oz. of Niagra juice and it taste really well, very smoth and just like Niagra wine should
I didn't realize that you would be using Niagara juice. Your initial post says "store bought grape juice", which could be pretty much anything.

It is a common procedure to hold back part of the juice harvest to sweeten the wine.

Steve

I use frozen 100% fruit juice concentrate from the store to backsweeten my wines. I can not have unfermented cane suger. The fruit juice works great. I don't often backsweeten, but juice and agavi both work well. I often use them to bost flavore or to raise the abv to the point the yeast dies off, leaving residual sweetness.
Sorbate is needed with any backsweetening you do.

rob--the whole idea of sweetening is to balance the acids. When you have the acids balanced with the correct amount of sugar, it does not cover up the flavor--it enhances and draws out flavors that are hidden.

If you over-sweeten, then you can start to lose flavor. Very similar to tomato sauce--get the correct amount of sugar in it and it tastes nicely balanced and not too tart. Get too much sugar in it and the flavor goes south.

We always use sugar and are very careful with more delicate flavors, like peach. Get peach too sweet and the flavor is tamped down. Much of this is from experience and it's always a good idea to go by SG, otherwise what tastes good while bottling sometimes gets too sweet when you open the bottle 1 month from bottling. Do some experimenting with sugar on your wines--you'll soon find your happy place. Take the SG of what seems to taste good to you and write it down. Then evaluate it when you open the bottle--revise your SG if it's a tad too sweet, or not sweet enough, and use less or more sugar next time and take note of SG.

We've used this practice over the years on every wine we make and the notes come in very handy year after year so we don't have to try and figure it out again.

Back