back sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry

Reaction score
hi all. After i get rid of the fizzies in my wine if i want to back sweeten it do i have to add any thing else? I already added sulphite potassium sorbate kieselsol and chitosan per the instructions 2 weeks ago it is clearing nice i just have to get rid of the fizzies first then sweeten a little i was thinking of useing a wine conditioner thank you

Thats what I did to a WE riesling kit a few months ago and it worked fine. I put in all the chemicals as you have mentioned and let it clear, then I racked it, then filtered it and then added the syrup. I used conditioner and some simple syrup because we wanted ours very sweet. A note of caution. Make sure you let the wine sit for a week or two after you add the conditioner before bottling. That way you can be certain that no fermentation has started up again.
Good luck.

hi all. After i get rid of the fizzies in my wine if i want to back sweeten it do i have to add any thing else? I already added sulphite potassium sorbate kieselsol and chitosan per the instructions 2 weeks ago it is clearing nice i just have to get rid of the fizzies first then sweeten a little i was thinking of useing a wine conditioner thank you
Fizzies mean you have traped GAS. Time to DEGAS. This will also help in clearing. I don't like using conditioner I feel it leaved a cough medicine taste. I would like you to make simple syrup and add to YOUR taste (2 parts sugar to 1 part water) I use a "Mason" jar 32oz. Fill it with sugar and add to 16oz of boiling water. Whisk over heat till its clear. Cool and then add till you like the "taste".

Fizzies mean you have traped GAS. Time to DEGAS. This will also help in clearing. I don't like using conditioner I feel it leaved a cough medicine taste. I would like you to make simple syrup and add to YOUR taste (2 parts sugar to 1 part water) I use a "Mason" jar 32oz. Fill it with sugar and add to 16oz of boiling water. Whisk over heat till its clear. Cool and then add till you like the "taste".

Tom - do you keep it on hand or make it up fresh each time you sweeten something?

I've been making it up fresh, but it would be handy to make a larger batch for multiple uses.

When I make it, its 1 gallon at a time. I add it to 4- 32 oz mason jars. Keeps real well. Make sure the sugar is dissolved.
I also use it for making my Cello's

When I make it, its 1 gallon at a time. I add it to 4- 32 oz mason jars. Keeps real well. Make sure the sugar is dissolved.
I also use it for making my Cello's

Thanks, Tom. Good info

So it's ok to back sweeten after it's filtered . Because I was thinking about trying it on one of my wines but didn't know if it would really need it so was going to wait until I filtered to try it . Thought what I might do the first time is take part of the batch and sweeten it that way if I did something wrong i won't ruin the whole batch of wine .

I would sweeten before I filtered, I alway sweeten before it clers because sometimes just sweetening can cloud it up no matter what you use. Chemical imbalance i guess cause it only does it sometimes even with a simple syrup.

I didn't know either way but read the post above that MN-winer posted saying he filtered then added sweetener . Being the newbie at this I was just reading different threads trying to find out more info . So when I saw you could do it after filtering I thought all the better . I can just use my small gallon jug I forgot I even had and wouldn't need to rack the rest of the wine into another carboy (I only have the 1 size carboy right now ) just put it right in the bottles .Should have known it sounded to good & easy . Oh all my wines are white wines if that makes any difference .

I would sweeten before I filtered, I alway sweeten before it clers because sometimes just sweetening can cloud it up no matter what you use. Chemical imbalance i guess cause it only does it sometimes even with a simple syrup.

Sweetening has been helping mine clear that last little bit

Sweetnening clouds mine up. I always try to sweeten at last racking while aging (meaning its going to sit in the carboy another 30-90 days). Then one more racking just before bottling or filtering.

Latest posts

Back