Back sweetening: Wine conditioner or SS with sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I'm curious. Is there a huge difference between the two? It seems as if the wine conditioner is an "all-in-one" back sweetening solution but 99% of the time, I just see SS with sorbate.

Is there a certain amount where one is better over the other or does it just come down to personal preference/taste?

In my experience, the wine appears to gain sweetness over time after back sweetening. Knowing this, after doing bench tests I tend to back sweeten to about 80% of whatever blend tasted best, let the wine sit for a month or more and then taste again. If it needs more SS then I can easily give it just enough more to fill the gap. I think that would be tougher with wine conditioner unless you had a significant amount of experience with it and knew the effects of set doses per volume. SS just seems to be easier to work with and is readily available. If you make many dry wines then, like me, you probably have numerous packets of K-sorbate on hand to stop the yeast from procreating.

Latest posts

Back