Back sweetening SP. - A question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

BernardSmith

Reaction score
The original recipe suggests a hefty 2 lbs of sugar to sweeten 5 gallons of SP. That's more than 6 oz of sugar per gallon and that would likely raise the FG to about 15 points should the SP finish at 1.000. All other things being equal, a wine with an FG of 1.015 is sweet. How sweet do you finish your SP? I prefer mine closer to 1.005 which is about 8 oz of sugar used to backsweeten.

Jovimaple

Kaptin Winemaker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
The original recipe suggests a hefty 2 lbs of sugar to sweeten 5 gallons of SP. That's more than 6 oz of sugar per gallon and that would likely raise the FG to about 15 points should the SP finish at 1.000. All other things being equal, a wine with an FG of 1.015 is sweet. How sweet do you finish your SP? I prefer mine closer to 1.005 which is about 8 oz of sugar used to backsweeten.
I use 1 1/3 cups sugar per gallon to back sweeten. I also add more lemon juice after fermentation. As an early drinker, that gives the right ratio of tart to sweet for my taste. However, I haven't aged any long enough to know if that's too much long term. I have a few bottles from my last batch that I am trying to save for aging. This one is a favorite with my friends and family, though, especially with such a hot summer, so it's hard to keep some around!

BernardSmith

Reaction score
By my calculations that is a hefty 10 oz per gallon to back sweeten so that should finish the wine at about 1.030... That is tooth tingling sweet.

Jovimaple

Kaptin Winemaker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
By my calculations that is a hefty 10 oz per gallon to back sweeten so that should finish the wine at about 1.030... That is tooth tingling sweet.
My last batch ended up being an 8 gallon batch with 192 oz (6 - 32 oz bottles) of lemon juice and 6 gallons of water. On my first batch, after I backsweetened, I found that it tasted like slightly tart sugar water. That's when I decided it needed more lemon.

I probably should look at cutting some of the water with my next batch. I could then cut the sugar and maybe not add extra lemon with less water up front.

Then again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! 😎