Back Sweetening Cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orabun

Junior
Reaction score
I want to back sweeten some peach and Apple cider and I dont know the best way to do this. Some say to add sugar and some have a sweet syrup they make from sugar and water. Can any one tell me how to make this syrup and is this the best method to use???

2 parts sugar to 1 part water is usually used for making a simple syrup.Heat it up and constantly stir the water until all the sugar is disolved,turn off heat and let it cool down to room temp. before adding it to your wine.

If the flavor is where you want it to be then do the simple syrup method as stated above, if you feel the batch needs a little more flavor then you could use a frozen concentrate to sweeten it up and add flavor at the same time. I usually take a 2 quarts of all natural juice from a heath food store and reduce in a pot on a stove top at medium heat with the lid off and reduce these 2 quarts down to 1/3 its original size. This concentrates the flavor and sugar so as it doesnt dilute your wine much as most of the water is evaporated this way, kind of like making an "F-Pack"

Latest posts

Back