Back sweeten

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola

Reaction score
Hi there

I have made pineapple wine, not overly pineapple tasting, it’s done fermenting, cal I back sweeten with day some more pineapple boiled with sugar? Or put more pineapple in now and sugar separate?
Thanks

The only fruit wine I've made was 2 batches of peach. The first one wasn't made with many peaches and I had to add extract to up the flavor. The second had 120 lbs of peaches to make 8 gallons of wine which was very peachy by itself. So I guess what I'm getting at is the amount of fruit makes a big difference with flavor and I would think some fruits are easier to extract the flavor. My caution would be, be careful of how much sugar you add prior to stabilization. The higher the alcohol the less fruit flavor you are going to get and back sweetening after stabilization and sorbate also helps bring back the fruit. There are a lot of fruit (country) winemakers on the forum and hopefully one will chime in to help.

The only fruit wine I've made was 2 batches of peach. The first one wasn't made with many peaches and I had to add extract to up the flavor. The second had 120 lbs of peaches to make 8 gallons of wine which was very peachy by itself. So I guess what I'm getting at is the amount of fruit makes a big difference with flavor and I would think some fruits are easier to extract the flavor. My caution would be, be careful of how much sugar you add prior to stabilization. The higher the alcohol the less fruit flavor you are going to get and back sweetening after stabilization and sorbate also helps bring back the fruit. There are a lot of fruit (country) winemakers on the forum and hopefully one will chime in to help.
Thank you! Am so new to this I wasn’t sure if adding now would mean it wouldn’t keep lol! I should have done it in the secondary but you learn every day ☺️

If you haven't added any sugar, you might not taste much of the pineapple.

Try taking a sample and adding a bit of sugar to sweeten. That might be enough to bring out the pineapple taste. Then go from there.

Remember this is just to test and taste right away. Because as we know.. if your wine hasn't been stabilized and you add sugar, fermentation will likely start up again.

BTW, how many pounds of pineapple did you use per gallon of wine?

If you haven't added any sugar, you might not taste much of the pineapple.

Try taking a sample and adding a bit of sugar to sweeten. That might be enough to bring out the pineapple taste. Then go from there.

Remember this is just to test and taste right away. Because as we know.. if your wine hasn't been stabilized and you add sugar, fermentation will likely start up again.

BTW, how many pounds of pineapple did you use per gallon of wine?
Defo will add sugar and try first, I added 6 pineapple for 6 gallon. Thanks

Back