Back sweeten with Alain Milliat chardonnay juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scripps

Junior
Reaction score
I made 5 gallons from my Chardonnay grapes at 14% and 5 at 12% both down to .990. They have now been clearing for 2 weeks. I added potassium Meta @ 1/2 tsp and potassium sorbate @ 2.5 tsp. . I wanted to add 1000 ml of Alain Milliat chardonnay grape juice at bottling in about 3 weeks. Would I need to add anything else or will I be ok. Sorry for my ignorance my first wine making. I do brew beer. Both taste good as is I just wanted to sweeten a little. Ty for input. I did mix up this ratio as a test with 1000 ml wine and 5ml juice and it tasted great. If i need to add anything please let me know. Also if this wont work please advise. My wine is a little darker as i added 1/2 lb of agave with my other sugars to bring my ABV up before fermentation. The slight tequilla flavor is very nice and barely noticable.

Attachments

• 8B89FB11-0D76-4DD7-8CDC-596E63B58264.jpeg
    8B89FB11-0D76-4DD7-8CDC-596E63B58264.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 4812CCFD-A89B-444E-8954-B5C7DEC1A6B2.jpeg
    4812CCFD-A89B-444E-8954-B5C7DEC1A6B2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
I was unfamiliar with Alain Milliat juice. But, in any event, you can do as you propose, provided you do one important step. After your alcoholic wines are finished, you should add potassium sorbate to the wine prior to adding in the Alain Milliat juice. Potassium sorbate will prevent your dormant yeast from reproducing and simply fermenting the sugar in your added juice.

I don't know where you are in the world, but potassium sorbate is available at your local home brew shop or online.

I was unfamiliar with Alain Milliat juice. But, in any event, you can do as you propose, provided you do one important step. After your alcoholic wines are finished, you should add potassium sorbate to the wine prior to adding in the Alain Milliat juice. Potassium sorbate will prevent your dormant yeast from reproducing and simply fermenting the sugar in your added juice.

I don't know where you are in the world, but potassium sorbate is available at your local home brew shop or online.
So I added potassium sorbate already. But the juice would go in at bottling 3 weeks from now. Should I add again or is what I added fine

You do not need to add more provided you did a proper dose already.

I just want to double check: there are two important chemicals, potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite. You are not confusing them, are you?

You do not need to add more provided you did a proper dose already.

I just want to double check: there are two important chemicals, potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite. You are not confusing them, are you?
I added both at end of fermentation. .5 tsp Potassium metabisulfite and 2.5 tsp Potassium sorbate per 5 gallons. thanks for your help

Back