AWS Amateur Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats! Looks like your Chardonnay narrowly missed medaling. Did the notes give you ideas on what you could do to improve it?
Thanks everyone. It was my oaked chard. The judges notes on the Chard were that there was not enough oak and the nose was off. I wanted it to be more buttery but probably not enough battonage with this vintage. They were correct.

Who’s to say what’s enough oak, Frances Ford Coppola makes a great Chard, just the correct amount of wood verses fruit , not over powering to the palate.
Off taste I can see. But oaking????

Congratulations! That's great affirmation and reward for the efforts. I made a small 5 gal. batch of home grown Chambourcin and Zinfandel concentrate from CA in 2019 and entered the AWS amateur contest and took a bronze. I was very excited. The judging notes are very, very helpful in the amateur competition. They use the same scoring criteria as the commercial competition, only provide the notes on the scoring. It is a very good accomplishment and encouragement to continue to produce fine wine. What a wonderful avocation.

Actually if you omitted the oak and put all the white wines side by side with the expectation of the Northern white Varietals
There’s nothing you can’t do with them , their a blank canvas.

Latest posts

Back