Awakened by a strange noise.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
Two days ago we were all awakened by a loud cry just outside our bedroom window. First thought was a crow. As it escalated my mind was racing for answers.

Next I heard a loud thud and the screeching/crying turned more frantic and sounded violent. I thought maybe 2 cats fighting or an animal caught in a trap.

I got up and my step daughter yelled from her room "Put It Out Of It's Misery, What the h@ll is it?"

I quietly (and cautiously, yeah I'm a coward) went outside and discovered it was a large crow trying to eat my 6' long black fake snake. The thud was when it fell from my grape arbor where it keeps all other birds away. I guess once on the deck he thought he'd attack and wrestle the snake to death but turned out it tasted like crap.

Pissed off he flew away. Immediately I thought somewhere there are crows laughing their buts off talking about how their friend (a few kernals short of a whole ear of corn) tried to claim "dibs" on a piece of rubber.

No what I need is an anteater for my garden. These big black ones are working an assembly line harvesting my crops.

After all this rain recently those mini black ones are massing an offensive in my kitchen and hallway like it's Iwo Jima. They are NOT around the garbage, sink, dish washer etc. Just passing thru.

Down here in Fl. every one uses big fake owls to keep seagulls and pelicans off their boats.
I've even seen some people in the real fancy neighborhoods use them to keep the egrets off their pool cages.
Who would want to be swimming in their pool only to see a big pile of bird poo floating by!! :)

No what I need is an anteater for my garden. These big black ones are working an assembly line harvesting my crops.

After all this rain recently those mini black ones are massing an offensive in my kitchen and hallway like it's Iwo Jima. They are NOT around the garbage, sink, dish washer etc. Just passing thru.

I also had an ant problem. i had some dursban laying around and made a diluted solution of that and spot sprayed it around the house and they were gone in a day.

I used a broccoli spray for the Moose. Probably where I went wrong. Either that or it was the cats who invited her in! LOL

Years back when my kids were little, we lived in a trailer. Late one night our crazy dog went bezerk and in just an instant we realized she had caught a Civet cat.
A skunk about the size of a ferret..
Needless to say it wasn't pleasant for quite some time in the house.

Thats why you let them sleep on the bed and train them to catch the dogs. Hide the down pillows, the cats will practice on them!!:)

dd 001.jpg

Thats a fun trip.. 5 am blah...

Explain this dursban? my ants are killing me in my kitchen and i cant get rid of them LOL

I wonder if the rubber snake trick will work with the damn pigeons. Rats with wings I say..... I have an owl, but I think the pigeons and the owl somehow made friends. Did I say pigeons were rats with wings......

Check some older hardware stores or garden center for it. It has banned since i got it but works awesome on most all insects. Mine is waited for indoor/outdoor use. Again I just did spot treatments. I have no idea why my daughter has a third eye! LOL you can look it up on google.

I put down on my yard around the house an insecticide. You water it in or apply just before it rains. It kills all the insects but will take a few days for ants. My problem is I didn't apply it around my wife's flower beds which are between the yard and the house. Now the ants won't go out to the yard so they come in the house.

This morning I dumped 6 gallons of hot soapy bleach water across my side porch decking. Underneath is an old concrete porch. Hours later the carpenter ants are runnin' all over the place and they are carrying levels and saws. Lil Bstrds!

You can get from any home center and WalMart bags of insecticide. I paid @ $12.00 for a nice size brand name bag. The trick is applying it where the ants are.

You sure it was a crow attacking your rubber snake cause it could have been a Mongoose! :)