Avoid backsweetening and still have some sweetness

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinwakr

Reaction score
If I wanted a FG of 1.010, I use a yeast with an ABV tolerance of 14%, bumped up the SG to 1.111, would I have to do anything out of the ordinary before bottling?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to ”preserve” some of the natural fruit flavours in my wine and I find if I ferment dry and backsweeten, then I seem to lose fruit flavour.

That yeast such says it has an alcohol tolerance of 14% abv lies to you. Some of them yeasties are going to be extra strong and make it to 18%. It happens all the time and then we hear stories of bottles exploding.

Yup As cmason1957 states, far safer to let a wine ferment all the way dry THEN back-sweeten to the point you like. Popping corks or exploding bottles, all make for a mess.

My dad's first and last Root Beer adventure many years ago was a victim of fermentation continuing after bottling. It was ugly. When one bottle blew it took out all the rest, or they were about ready to go. We had just started eating supper when it happened and BOOM! Apparently my Dad was told no more Root beer making - Garage smelled of Root Beer for a while as I remember.

It is just too difficult to predict and control. You may get it right sometimes, but other times a fail. Unless you have a .45 micron filter, it’s best to go dry. I’ve found that adding 4-6 grams per liter sugar will bring out the fruit and not be too sweet.

If I wanted a FG of 1.010, I use a yeast with an ABV tolerance of 14%, bumped up the SG to 1.111, would I have to do anything out of the ordinary before bottling?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to ”preserve” some of the natural fruit flavours in my wine and I find if I ferment dry and backsweeten, then I seem to lose fruit flavour.

First, back sweetening imo, generally brings out more fruit flavor. If you want residual sugar after fermentation, start with a higher SG than 1.111, around 1.13. After fermentation seems to have stopped, let it age a year with some periodical racking and it should be just fine to bottle. The racking and aging should drive off any residual co2. The only problem with this approach is you have a higher ABV, but just consider it a Port!

Latest posts

Back