Avocado wine???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was inspecting the avocados on my backyard tree today and had a crazy idea, avocado wine. It looks like there will be a big crop coming next year and I thought that it cannot be worse than water wine LOL. They aren’t exactly sweet, but they are a fruit. How would it work?
7154499D-28AE-49FC-808D-B95E2D4CF9C4.jpeg

This is the “green monster” I like to call it, from where the babies come. It is still a little monster, but looks like the love child of Cousin It and the Jolly Green Giant.
DB66E4D9-0F3C-4FE4-BB6A-F2580D7C795D.jpeg

The avocado is 15% fat, and a trace of sugar. This will be a hard wine to produce, as an example of your finished wine picture three teaspoons of oil floating on the surface of a cup of grape juice or 2.4 cups of oil per gallon. ,,,, how much water did you want to dilute the avocado with?

Grape in comparison would have half a teaspoon of oil in a gallon.

Always thinking, that's good, but I'll say to 'just say no!' I don't see good things happening here, lol, but if you must . . .

Avocado is great on it's own, and you can freeze the flesh, so . . .

Last edited:
Agree with G259 and Rice_Guy - don't think this will work. You'd have to add a lot of sugar and it is going to be an oily wine. If it were me I'd look to make a lot of Guacamole. Seriously good-looking avocado BTW!

So, the consensus is that avocado wine CAN be worse than water wine.

Maybe an old-fashioned fruit swap is needed, avocados for grapes.
Looks like you will have more than you can eat, so why not ? Give it a try and let us know. Would be interesting to find how much green is left after fermenting.

What you might do is buy some vodka and see if adding avocado to the vodka might produce a tincture you might enjoy. If the alcohol can extract the flavors you like and you can filter out the fats then it MIGHT be worthwhile trying to ferment on avocados . If the vodka cannot make an enjoyable liqueur then avocado may not be a good candidate. Steeping the fruit for a month (or wven 2 weeks) should be long enough to tell...

It could , of course, wait... or you might look for some store bought avos to see if the idea has any legs. If you cannot make even a reasonable avo liqueur (or "brandy") from the vodka then you know that the idea of making a wine is likely to be more trouble than it is worth.

Latest posts

Back