Automatic Fillers - Your Opinions and Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maestro

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Greetings board!

So, my wife and I bottled our Blueberry Acai Skeeter Pee this past weekend and as we have done with several batches prior we used our Buon Vino Automatic Gravity Filler. It has been a dream to use up until this weekend. It started failing us in regards to its shutoff as well as with the overflow tube. The shutoff adjustment had to be constantly tweaked with every single bottle and it got to a point where I was having to manually pull the filler at every bottle. The overflow tube also kept allowing more wine than normal into the catch bottle.

Now, is it possible that after only ~200 bottles that my Buon Vino is failing already? There is visible rust on the adjustment screw so I am inclined to believe that the internals are in rough shape as well. Also, could you Buon Vino owners tell me your method for using the filler? I'm certain I have been using it correctly, but I really just want to be sure that I use all the correct motions and techniques needed for this piece of equipment.

Lastly, is this the best of the low cost auto fillers, or can anyone recommend something better? Some day we'll step up to stainless steel gravity auto fillers when we take our stuff to the next level, but for now we must stick with low cost options.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Joe

I use this and after well over 1,000 bottles it still works like a champ. I cant see any rust in mine. Have you been soaking it in meta?

I just run meta through it before and after use to give it a good sanitizing and then run a shot of fresh water through it to make sure no meta buildup occurs.

Should I be doing something different?

I dont do after (meta). Just run water thru it. Sounds like meta may be corroding something. Maybe you can take it back or call the company for replacement.

I purchased it from Midwest so I'll give them a shout and see what they can do, if anything. Thanks for your insight.

Now, as far as technique, could you run me through how you use your filler and what you do in the process to get it going perfectly?

I purchased it from Midwest so I'll give them a shout and see what they can do, if anything. Thanks for your insight.

Now, as far as technique, could you run me through how you use your filler and what you do in the process to get it going perfectly?

New I would calabrate it with water. Put some water in a bucket and start to fill wine bottles. Adjust the screw so it dont overfil.

The rust on the adjustment scew is a well known issue. Half of the brand new ones I see are already rusty. I took mine out and used some food grade lube on it and reinserted. Not using k-meta after cleaning is for real as I used to do this and then one day the top popped right off and the bearing fell out of it. Other then that this has been an awesome filler.

I just got mine, haven't used it yet, but I have some wines stacked up just waiting for the right moment.

Just got mine. Worked perfect out of the box. I am using a gravity feed to it, not a vacuum which I know you can also do. Not sure if my pump will go low enough. But it was easy and much better than the wands.

So, I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong in the process then. I know the carboy I am siphoning from should be higher than the Buon Vino, but how much higher should it be?

Also, where should the overflow bottle be in relation to the filling bottle? With such a short overflow tube I assume that they should just be side by side.

Amirite???

When I was using that filler I had the carboy on my wine making bench and I had a bottling crate on the floor that could hold about 32 bottles. I would move the overflow hose as needed. I would fill all 30 bottles and then go back and cork. Very easy process.

Sounds like you need to lube the mechanism. Just like anything that moves it needs to be lubricated. Mine was a little rough when I got mine and it used some very slippery lube on the outside (not any area that touches the wine) and it ops up perfect everytime and Ive had mine for about 4 years now. No rust on mine at all.

Mike
And what is that doing in your home? What purpose do you have for it? (other than lubing the "filler") :r

Yep, KY Liquid! Way slipperier then anyhthing else and gets in to all spots and Im not mentioning any letters!

Wade,
What letters? Like A, B, C? Or, is it "X","Y","Z"

Alright, I set up an appointment for the three of you to see Father Al tomorrow for confession. Dang it's a good thing Julie and I are here to keep things in check!

P3040252.jpg

That place would burn if I stepped in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Animated Gif Fire (104).gif

Last edited:
Back