WineXpert Australian Shiraz - Sel. International

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broomal

Junior
Reaction score
I am making an Australian Shiraz and am at 10 days after the 2nd fermentation. Instructions say SG should be .996 or less. My SG is 1.004 and nothing seems to be moving. What do I do next?

Not much that can be done at this point and why I dont really like W.E. red wine kits as they tend to do this quite a bit if racked from the primary. There are really only 2 things I would do to make sure youre not getting a false high reading, 1 would be to see if your hydrometer is calibrated by checking it in some distilled water at the temp that it is calibrated to some are 60* and some are 68* I think and it should read 1.000, if not adjust by adding or subtracting the difference as the little pce of paper can get jarred from time to time and become inaccurate. The other thing is to degas your wine as suspened gases could be making your hydro float higher giving you this reading. Chances are that this kit quit a little early though.

Broomal:

I would check the temp of the wine. If it isn't 72-75F, I would warm it up.

Secondly, stir it to bring up any yeast in the lees.

Steve

Latest posts

Back