WineXpert Australian Grenache/Mourvedre

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
I just finished racking the Australian Grenache/Mourvedre Selection Limited Edition. Stage (4) racking and clarification. added the 1/4 teaspoon of potassium metabisulphite (4 campden tablets crushed) to age longer than 6 months. I usually keep the boxes the wine kit comes in since they are sturdy and place empty wine bottles in them. At the bottom of the box I found a bag of sawdust that should have been added to the wine kit. I would guess about 1 cup's worth. I'd really like to add the oak sawdust, but really hate to rack several more times.
Question: Should I go a head and add the oak saw dust being the original recipe? Or........I have some American Oak Cubes (medium toast), or AmericanHeavy toast Oak chips? If using the Cubes or chips, it would Possibly be only one racking.......... and how much would a person use of the chips/cubes? The sawdust does not have any label on it to let me know what kind of oak saw dust it is.
Thanks!Edited by: jsmahoney

JS, I would go with the cubes now. 2-3 ozs. for 2 months but I would check
after a month a taste it because everyone has different tastes
especially when it comes to oaking.
Edited by: wade

Thanks wade! Now, one more question, when sample testing for the oak taste, when you think it is just fine, then bottle, will the oak become stronger after aging, or will it become more mellow and softer/weaker after aging?

I guess I'm thinking if Ifind it just right to my tasting,---- bottle--- and it becomes stronger with age, I'd probably try and make sure it was a little weak in the oak before bottling or vise versa. You know what I'm trying to say!
smiley24.gif

JS, Im not sure on this one but my gut says it would just get smoother!

We generally find it will smoth out over time, the old mellow with age thing.
smiley27.gif
We did have one wine that got over oaked and we really suffered for it.
smiley18.gif
But that was us taking our chances and messing around with stuff.
I too would go with the cubes at this point, especially if you're not keen on racking several times more.

I would use the cubes also. You may need to leave them there for a little longer than usual. The sawdust has more surface area so it acts quickly and is usually done after primary. My guess is 2 weeks should do it, but test after a week. A kittle on the strong side would be good so that after a few months after it mellows it will be just right. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back