WineXpert Australia Cab Sauv w/ Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a taste test and it seemed a bit light and lacking. Probably needs quite a bit more tannin for my liking and still transforming so it likely needs time but I'm a bit surprised considering this kit has grape skins.

Did a taste test and it seemed a bit light and lacking. Probably needs quite a bit more tannin for my liking and still transforming so it likely needs time but I'm a bit surprised considering this kit has grape skins.

I often add some extra tannins to wine kits, even if they include grape skins, it just isn't the same as fermenting on a mass that is about half of the bucket of skins and such.

I added quite a bit on my first batch that didn't have skins but surprised to see how flat this one is at the moment. I'm going to let it bulk age until mid-July which will be around 1 year in total so a lot can happen. But, I might put in a spiral for 3 months and see what happens and then finish with tannin powder if needed.

It's been a while since I've done anything to this kit, it's been happily hibernating in the basement. I am a bit late on racking it but no harm. I did a taste test and it's improving from the last taste, it's getting there. I am surprised how quickly and effortlessly I can rack the wine without losing a drop now. No sunken sediment at the bottom whatsoever, nothing caked, just some ever so slightly whispy slimy sediment floating around that I noticed but I would have to bet that's from the grape skins. It didn't affect the taste or nose of the wine. I crushed a few campden tablets and added some tannin powder, stirred, topped off, and replaced the water in the bung. All is well. Another 4-5 months and I'll bottle.

Latest posts

Back