WineXpert Australia Cab Sauv w/ Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CabSauv

Exp Drinker/Junior Vintner
Reaction score
Happy 4th of July! Look who the cat dragged in!! It's been a while folks, I feel really bad about not being on for a while but I've had a rough year at my previous job which resulted in job change (for the better), busy with the kids and their sports, and had to put my German Shepherd down last fall. Anyway, I'm back and starting another batch. I've still got about 50 bottles of the 70 I had after my first 2 batches but I figured what the heck.

Date started: 7/4/2019
Starting specific gravity: 1.092
Notes: I added more oak chips to the 2 piddly pouches they provided. I also increased the batch by 1 brix to make it more adult appropriate.

Last edited:
I've got Dad in town and he's helping me with starting primary fermentation. He's just as excited as I am and we've got action in the bubble lock. He leaves tomorrow morning to head back home but he's excited to see it really bubbling before he goes. We've had 3 cabs so far since Wednesday night, 19 Crimes, Educated Guess, and Obscura.

Attachments

• D-wTO9vXUAAzR13.jpg
    D-wTO9vXUAAzR13.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 59
Just keeping another journal for this batch as many do, it's fun to go back and read the thread of my first batch.

UPDATE:
Punched down the grape skins and gave a few squeezes to get the goodness out. The muslin bag tore a little while squeezing but since I'm a "pro" and had a second muslin bag on hand, I sanitized and double muslin bagged the skins. Stirred, and checked SG which was 1.060.

UPDATE 2:
SG is at 1.032, moving right along. Air lock has minimal bubbling but the color and aroma is amazing with these skins!

UPDATE 3:
Boring update, likely no one cares LOL, but SG is 1.020.

I will be out of town for a few days, should I worry about sanitizing a mug and tying the excess muslin bag to the handle to keep the skins punched down or is this even something to worry about if only for a few days?

UPDATE 3:
Boring update, likely no one cares LOL, but SG is 1.020.

I will be out of town for a few days, should I worry about sanitizing a mug and tying the excess muslin bag to the handle to keep the skins punched down or is this even something to worry about if only for a few days?

It wouldn't hurt to do it.

SG is 1.010 as of last night but I'm going to let it go until it completely bottoms out, and maybe give it another few days or week with the skins. I'll probably do the muslin bag tied to a mug then, just to get the skins completely under the wine.

Another question. Does chitosan and kieselsol do anything to the flavor or body of the wine or does it literally only cause the sediment to clump up and clear to the bottom for fining? Since I'm bulk aging for at least 3-4 months at a minimum, is it necessary or not? I also plan on degassing with the drill/wand regardless if the instructions say to, unless it specifically says not to.

SG is 1.010 as of last night but I'm going to let it go until it completely bottoms out, and maybe give it another few days or week with the skins. I'll probably do the muslin bag tied to a mug then, just to get the skins completely under the wine.

Another question. Does chitosan and kieselsol do anything to the flavor or body of the wine or does it literally only cause the sediment to clump up and clear to the bottom for fining? Since I'm bulk aging for at least 3-4 months at a minimum, is it necessary or not? I also plan on degassing with the drill/wand regardless if the instructions say to, unless it specifically says not to.

Many, including me, have abandoned the use of clearing agents altogether. Some say they strip color and body from the wine. I don’t know that to be true. But in practice, clearing agents do to sediment in a week what nature takes about a month to do.

IMO - if you’re going to let the wine bulk age for a few months, no need to add them.

Same as Jim, if you're going to bulk age a reasonable period of time anyway, no need for degassing or for fining agents. The wine will tell you when to bottle it.......................

I only like to degass so I can get a better taste sooner :ib, I'll be bulk aging until Christmas either way.

UPDATE 4:
Down to 0.992, flavor is great. Will be interesting to see how much adjusting I will need to do, if any at all, on the tannin. The skins did a pretty good job but I figure I'll add a few cubes or a small spiral for a month at a time. I'm going to let this bulk age until Christmas when Dad is in town again for a few days to help bottle. Just need to think of a name and make sure I have enough bottles.

UPDATE 5:
Racked and sediment is on the bottom. Did a quick twist of the carboy to knock off any sediment stuck on the sides and then I'll be waiting another few days before another racking for bulk aging until Christmas. The color, flavor, and smell of this batch with the skins seems light years better than my previous 2 cheap kits. Next I'll have to do all grapes and get my hands on a barrel. :dg

EDIT: Forgot to mention I added some dark french oak cubes which I'll remove in a few days. Then after the next racking in about 3 months when I add pot meta I'll taste and see if it needs more oaking.

I wou
UPDATE 5:
Racked and sediment is on the bottom. Did a quick twist of the carboy to knock off any sediment stuck on the sides and then I'll be waiting another few days before another racking for bulk aging until Christmas. The color, flavor, and smell of this batch with the skins seems light years better than my previous 2 cheap kits. Next I'll have to do all grapes and get my hands on a barrel. :dg

EDIT: Forgot to mention I added some dark french oak cubes which I'll remove in a few days. Then after the next racking in about 3 months when I add pot meta I'll taste and see if it needs more oaking.

l would leave the oak cubes in there for at least a month. I find the spirals that I use give up almost all their flavors in 6 - 8 weeks.

It's going to age for at least 6 months until I bottle it so I'll have plenty of time to put more cubes or a spiral after the 3 month racking. As I mentioned before, I doubled the oak chips at primary fermentation and then with the skins and now these cubes, I'll take it slow and add more if needed.

Wine has been racked for a second time through the 6 month bulk aging. Nose, taste, and legs are amazing but still cloudy and not acceptable to be bottled. I omitted the clearing and finishing agents this go around but I would have expected it to be less cloudy by this point. Any recommendations or just more time? I planned on bottling in December and as of now it's not even close to being clear enough.

Wine has been racked for a second time through the 6 month bulk aging. Nose, taste, and legs are amazing but still cloudy and not acceptable to be bottled. I omitted the clearing and finishing agents this go around but I would have expected it to be less cloudy by this point. Any recommendations or just more time? I planned on bottling in December and as of now it's not even close to being clear enough.

If you started the wine in early July, it's only been bulk aging since mid July, that's only 3.5 months or so, I wouldn't think it'd be ready for bottling until at least mid January, if 6 months is the magic number. In any case, just stay the course and let it do its thing..........

If you started the wine in early July, it's only been bulk aging since mid July, that's only 3.5 months or so, I wouldn't think it'd be ready for bottling until at least mid January, if 6 months is the magic number. In any case, just stay the course and let it do its thing..........

I agree. Just wait and see. You have time. If you get to the point that you need to free up that carboy, and it’s still cloudy, maybe hit it with a clarifier.

I'm in no rush really, I just thought it would have been nice to have by Christmas for family dinner. It's my fault for not starting it sooner.

I have plenty of available glass, two 6 gal and another 5 gal.

Latest posts

Back