Austin grape juice buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockabout

Reaction score
Hi since fine vine wines closed I havent been able to get California grapes in Texas I’ve seen many of you looking for grapes too. -Colavita hooked me up with someone unresponsive to email last year :-( - Austin homebrew supply is selling 5 gallon juice buckets that are balanced and preinoculated. Anyone have any experience with these ? I’d love to know what you thought. - if anyone is interested in purchasing about a dozen or so varietals..
Thanks in advance!
Kim

I’m interested in people’s thoughts on this as well. I have 3 juice pails in my cart right now. I know someone on here bought the pails from Chile from Austin Homebrew earlier this year, but I don’t they’ve had enough time to be ready.

I wish I could get something for this price around KC/Omaha/Des moines! The one place I contacted said their buckets are going to be $200-300! For that price, I would get a bucket just to try it out!

I’m interested in people’s thoughts on this as well. I have 3 juice pails in my cart right now. I know someone on here bought the pails from Chile from Austin Homebrew earlier this year, but I don’t they’ve had enough time to be ready.

I bought Chilean juice buckets near Chicago this spring and last year. It was part of a wine club "buy." They work pretty well. They're not inoculated with wine yeast, but I suspect there is some natural field yeast in the juice. The wine from last year's buckets has just been bottled, and I'm pleased with it. The Carmenere is particularly good. I paid $55 each bucket.

I buy from the same club, the past few years turned out pretty good. But just like any wine juice buckets you need to add/adjust to create better wine. More body, color, ect.

don't know where in Texas you are but I picked my grapes and juice up in Gainesville TX last year. Might be the one that was unresponsive to your emails. Anyway I know they will get grapes and juice again this year

I wish I could get something for this price around KC/Omaha/Des moines! The one place I contacted said their buckets are going to be $200-300! For that price, I would get a bucket just to try it out!
I don't know how far you are from Northwest Arkansas but I am a distributor for Colavita over there,
and have plenty of room left for additional orders.

I don't know how far you are from Northwest Arkansas but I am a distributor for Colavita over there,

I'm about 6.5 hour drive from Fayetteville, AK. Won't be getting any grapes this year, though. However, thank you for the offer.

don't know where in Texas you are but I picked my grapes and juice up in Gainesville TX last year. Might be the one that was unresponsive to your emails. Anyway I know they will get grapes and juice again this year

I’m guessing you’re Wilhelm, nice to meet you. No, it was the Houston folks last year that didn’t respond - if I got the story correct it wasn’t clear to Ally C. that they only wanted to arrange for their group - not a problem and I can understand that. I’m in San Antonio so For me to get to Gainesville and back it’s about 12+ hours not including stops.... before pandemic we’d spend the night in Dallas and pick up our grapes in the morning. Hubbys not willing to do the drive this year:-( but I am sharing your info with our San Antonio regional wine Making group and I really appreciate the offer. Our wine from Colavita grapes is fantastic!!!!!
Thank you again for the very kind offer. Looking forward to visiting your winery when it opens.
Kim

No I am actually Stefan haha, I did pick up from Willem last year. And I know he will do it again this year. I decided to become a distributor myself in Northwest Arkansas, since there isn't a single source for grapes and juice anywhere near here. Worst case if I don't get enough orders to get a truck here, I will rent a truck and make the drive to Gainesville TX again to pick up my portion of the shipment.

Willem is a very nice guy though, last year he gave us a tour of his winery and let us try some of his wine. So I would definitely recommend picking up with him if you are still on the fence about it.

I have been very pleased with the quality of Colavita as well, and in general just glad that there is a company willing to work with you on getting grapes to states where there are no other suppliers doing it.

No I am actually Stefan haha, I did pick up from Willem last year. And I know he will do it again this year. I decided to become a distributor myself in Northwest Arkansas, since there isn't a single source for grapes and juice anywhere near here. Worst case if I don't get enough orders to get a truck here, I will rent a truck and make the drive to Gainesville TX again to pick up my portion of the shipment.

Willem is a very nice guy though, last year he gave us a tour of his winery and let us try some of his wine. So I would definitely recommend picking up with him if you are still on the fence about it.

I have been very pleased with the quality of Colavita as well, and in general just glad that there is a company willing to work with you on getting grapes to states where there are no other suppliers doing it.
Nice to meet you Stefan! Mea culpa!

I’m guessing you’re Wilhelm, nice to meet you. No, it was the Houston folks last year that didn’t respond - if I got the story correct it wasn’t clear to Ally C. that they only wanted to arrange for their group - not a problem and I can understand that. I’m in San Antonio so For me to get to Gainesville and back it’s about 12+ hours not including stops.... before pandemic we’d spend the night in Dallas and pick up our grapes in the morning. Hubbys not willing to do the drive this year:-( but I am sharing your info with our San Antonio regional wine Making group and I really appreciate the offer. Our wine from Colavita grapes is fantastic!!!!!
Thank you again for the very kind offer. Looking forward to visiting your winery when it opens.
Kim
What's this San Antonio regional wine making group you speak of? I'm in Spring Branch, just up the road, and would love to hear about it.

Really nice group of folks great meetings once a month. We’re pretty new to the group find it on Facebook San Antonio regional wine guild discussion group... pm me with your email if you can’t find it or have questions.

Really nice group of folks great meetings once a month. We’re pretty new to the group find it on Facebook San Antonio regional wine guild discussion group... pm me with your email if you can’t find it or have questions.
Thank you, I found it and requested to join.

I haven’t done them before .... I should’ve really posted this under the kit forum there’s a lot of info there on juice buckets sounds about the same to me

I did a Sauvignon Blanc. Thought that would be a safe first one. The ferment was pretty slow. I think I added some nutrient (will have to check my notes). I was thinking it may have been a waste of time but it actually turned out ok. We are drinking it now. Probably won't do another right now but only because my wine making calendar is pretty full with other stuff.

@The Dutchman I just found this thread, and might be interested in some juice buckets this year, if possible. I live just west of Tulsa, a little over 2 hours to Fort Smith.

I got some reds in August of last year from Austin Homebrew. I like how they are coming along, but it's still to early to say for sure. I might try the Chilean buckets this year. The one's I got in August were from California.

Latest posts

Back