WineXpert Auspicion Cabernet and Meiomi Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vezePilot

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about wines. I have always enjoyed beer and scotch. But in the last four or five years I have been enjoying wine instead. Of course, these two are very economical, but I really like the Auspicion Cabernet Savignon and the Meiomi Pinot Noir.

What sort of additions and/or changes would be needed to WineXpert Kits to achieve results similar to the Auspicion and the Meiomi?

I have a WE 6 gallon Chile Cabernet kit currently in process. And the Pinot I was thinking of is the WE Premium Reserve NZ Marlborough Pinot Noir.

I only know Meiomi by reputation and have not tried either of these wines, but from what I've read Meiomi is most well loved for being a Pinot Noir that doesn't really look or taste like a Pinot Noir, it is darker and sweeter. Not sure that you could buy MegaPurple for home use, but maybe blending a much darker wine would get you that effect (blending in some of the cabernet for instance). Then I think you would also want to back sweeten somewhat, probably do "bench trials" to find the level of sweetness to add after the wine ferments out, then adding sugar and sorbate to the wine where the sorbate keeps the sugar from fermenting. Adding more american oak in the secondary would probably also help.

The author of this is anti Meiomi but I do think it has some valuable info if you want to "clone" that taste, which is a totally worthwhile goal:
https://armchairsommelier.com/2020/...one-eyed-one-horned-flyin-purple-pinot-fixer/

Last edited:
Several years ago a friend of mine brought a good quality Pinot Noir to a dinner night with friends. And I brought a bottle of Meiomi. The "Real Pinot" was not even close to being as enjoyable as the Meiomi, and several including my friend agreed.

Thank you for your advice and suggestions!

Latest posts

Back