Attempting to save a batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Life

Junior
Reaction score
Back in December I made a 3 gallon batch of apple from concentrate , never took a SG reading on this batch and just dumped in a 10 lb bag of sugar and let it go , my yeast was premier Cuvee which is listed to 18 % so figured all would be good

Well let's just say I was talked into doing this but now feel like Gomer Plye listening to others advice

Yesterday I checked the SG of this and it was 1.070 and this batch was started on 12-18-2018 so figured time to make decision , just dumping out and calling it a loss was one thought but another was to try mixing it with an active batch

Just this Sunday we made a gallon of orange from concentrate an the SG was 1.100 so I put a 1/2 gallon into two 1 one gallon carboys as this stuff really goes wild on the fermentation and needed lots of head space

Early this morning the orange settled down a bit and that's when I came up with the idea to start pouring some of the 1.070 apple on top of this batch, I just put in 1 quart at that time and waited 6 hrs

The fermentation was still strong so I filled up the two 1 gallon carboys with the remaining 1.070 apple

As of now the fermentation is still extremely strong and upon checking the SG it was at 1.030 , of course the result was lower as it is diluted but now I have starting point and will monitor

Now I have a Orange/Apple small batch going good and plan to follow the SG every other day , this was my only choice to resurrect this apple fiasco, perhaps we can call it it an exorcism as this batch was certainly bad but just did not want to give up ..... my hope is to have this ferment dry now an we just have to wait and see if readings go down , as wild as the ferment is going right now it looks like positive results may come of of this

Wondering if anyone has done something similar to this or can offer any other tips on how to save a batch of this nature, I have a couple more small batches that I would like to rescue but nothing quite like this one ....this is certainly my worst of the lot

The 2 gallons finished with a SG of .994 ...dry,strong and clearing very nice after racking off the lee's so now we will let sit for awhile then rack again

The method worked and have started on the other 2 gallons

Not saying it's a great wine but at least it's drinkable now and I learned a little along the way

the method you followed is the one that is normally suggested for a stuck fermentation. the procedure is to develop a good yeast starter, that is hydrating the yeast in proper temp water. once foaming add one cup of stuck wine, once foaming add two cups continue in this vein doubling the addition once fermentation are restarted until all of the stuck wine is working.
best approach is check the sg before you start adjust with sugar to a sg-1090 hydrate yeast using Go-Ferm and than once fermentation starts add yeast nutrient either Fermaid-K or Fermaid-0

Latest posts

Back