Attempting a Maple Wine = questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH

Reaction score
I was a small Maple Syrup producer years back and now my brother has been doing it and runs 700+ taps. So Maple Syrup is part of my life. Anyway, reviewing all the info I've gathered from here on making a maple wine I have some concerns. My "idea" of a Maple Wine would be to dilute a gallon of syrup to desired SG and go! Try to stop ferment close to 2-3% residual sugar and done.
After reviewing several recipes it appears that lack of acid is quite the problem as most recipes call for oranges, lemons, or their juice. I really don't want to add anything but Maple Syrup. I don't have acid testing equipment, just PH strips. I stock acid blend and wine tannin powder.
1. Acid/PH adjustments with out citrus?
2. To get a residual sugar (2-3%) Should I make the must a few points higher in brix and then stop at a certain SG before "dry" and still have a wine at 12% ABV but with a residual sugar? Is there a chart of some sort for figuring this?
3. I could just back sweeten with Maple Syrup, but that brings another random thought to mind... Has anyone back sweetened other wines with Maple Syrup? And how was it?
Thanks, SteveH

It is very hard to STOP an active fermentation at the point you want it to stop for a home winemaker. You can chill it very cold, like 32F (or 0C) and then sterile filter to make certain you remove all the yeast cells, but even that isn't foolproof. The idea to back sweeten with Maple Syrup sounds interesting, I haven't ever tried it. Sounds like a bench trial would be in order to me.

You can try to read the PH with just strips, but I find them impossible to get a good value with.

Thanks for the replies, I guess i'll scratch the thought on stopping the ferment and go to dry and back sweeten with Maple Syrup to taste. Acid wise, I guess I'll just wing it and see how it goes. I may make a one gallon batch with citrus added and one without side by side and then I'll know what the difference will be.

You can always do a bench test when it is done. Pour a few glasses, leave one without the acid, add a bit to the next one and abit more to the next one.If it needs it, you can add then, just figure out how much you added to the glasses and add that much times What the volume of the carboy would need. Arne. Forgot to say taste til you like it..

Back