Atc recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johny99

Reaction score
Hi all, I need advice from you August sages.

My wife’s health has declined to the point that she can’t walk our hills too well anymore. As our place and her gardens are her life’s joy, this morning she asked if she could get an atv to get around. I suggested the tractor, small Kubota, but she said too big. Never had an atv and don’t know much about them. I know dirt bikes, but that isn’t going to work.

Recommendations?

She is slight 5 ft 3 and 115 lbs. and pretty strong. The heart is just compromised. Our hills are pretty steep, 20-40% but I’ve carved roads and trails all over preparing for the day we are both in powerchairs. She wants something smaller and easy to use. Automatic was her only other criteria. She won’t be racing around, but I sense cabin fever coming on.

Are youth models high enough quality and durability?

Hi all, I need advice from you August sages.

My wife’s health has declined to the point that she can’t walk our hills too well anymore. As our place and her gardens are her life’s joy, this morning she asked if she could get an atv to get around. I suggested the tractor, small Kubota, but she said too big. Never had an atv and don’t know much about them. I know dirt bikes, but that isn’t going to work.

Recommendations?

She is slight 5 ft 3 and 115 lbs. and pretty strong. The heart is just compromised. Our hills are pretty steep, 20-40% but I’ve carved roads and trails all over preparing for the day we are both in powerchairs. She wants something smaller and easy to use. Automatic was her only other criteria. She won’t be racing around, but I sense cabin fever coming on.

Are youth models high enough quality and durability?

Certainly sorry to hear about your wife’s health decline, hope I can offer my experience and it will be helpful to you both. Over the years, as a hunter since age 6, I’ve operated and / or owned nearly every major brand, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Polaris, etc., 3 wheel, 4 wheel, and UTV’s. You can find the size, power, and options you like from any of the producers, electric start and auto transmission will be easy to find. From an overall durability, maintenance, and reliability standpoint, I’ve settled on, and only own Honda, but that’s personal preference.

From a size standpoint, as your wife has a slight build, you may well be able to get her a smaller model. I’d suggest taking her to an ATV / UTV dealer to let her test drive the different sizes, see the options, etc.. find something she’s comfortable operating. May be that you could use a smaller side by side with a bed that you can use too, roof, windshield, dump beds can come in quite handy!!

Thanks guys, I’d eliminated the golf cart due to the hills but after looking at the cricket....

We do have plans to head to the local off road dealer when I get back from Europe. Hopefully she’ll find something she loves.

ATVs with their very responsive handlebar steering and lower center of gravity are ideal "getting around" tools.

Tractors, with their high torque diesel engines are great for pulling and other output and heavy work with their accessories (3-point or PTO), so are too much tool to just around.

Quite frankly, I think a ATV would be better for her.

But....

Don't discount getting a new tractor for yourself as well. Because.... well.... hydraulics are fun. :)

Latest posts

Back