assistance with inoculating VP41

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Hey folks,

A little confused as to how I am going to do this... the instructions anent clear to me and you need a microscope to read them off the package!

So I have 55 gallons of wine I've just finished fermenting. It has been sitting in carboys for a couple of days as I still have to rack off gross lees.

So, the packet i bought is a 2.5 gr VP41 that is good for up too 66 gals. But what I am trying to figure out is how much to put in each vessel where I will rack the wine into. I have three 54L (14 ga) demis and a bunch of 5 and 5 gallons carboy. If I mix the contents of the whole package into a measuring cup (says 2.5 gr x by 20 - so 50 ml of water?) how much should I add to each demi? Should I just add equal parts? What if I am using Acti-ML nutrient? How does that change the equation? The package of Acti-ML says 20 grams and 100ml of water... so if I use all the Acti-ML (I bought two 50 gr packs) then do I need to mix that into 500ml of water (multiple by 5) then add my 2.5 grams of VP41 into that nutrient-rich mix? So a total of 500ml would be 125 ml per demi assuming I get 4 demis, correct?

Then from there, I need to make sure I pour equal amounts into each vessel assuming I can get 4 full demis going... so this can get complicated... or an i over thinking this? Is it possible to add too much nutrient/MLB to the wine?

I'm getting a bit lost here!

Hey folks,

A little confused as to how I am going to do this... the instructions anent clear to me and you need a microscope to read them off the package!

So I have 55 gallons of wine I've just finished fermenting. It has been sitting in carboys for a couple of days as I still have to rack off gross lees.

So, the packet i bought is a 2.5 gr VP41 that is good for up too 66 gals. But what I am trying to figure out is how much to put in each vessel where I will rack the wine into. I have three 54L (14 ga) demis and a bunch of 5 and 5 gallons carboy. If I mix the contents of the whole package into a measuring cup (says 2.5 gr x by 20 - so 50 ml of water?) how much should I add to each demi? Should I just add equal parts? What if I am using Acti-ML nutrient? How does that change the equation? The package of Acti-ML says 20 grams and 100ml of water... so if I use all the Acti-ML (I bought two 50 gr packs) then do I need to mix that into 500ml of water (multiple by 5) then add my 2.5 grams of VP41 into that nutrient-rich mix? So a total of 500ml would be 125 ml per demi assuming I get 4 demis, correct?

Then from there, I need to make sure I pour equal amounts into each vessel assuming I can get 4 full demis going... so this can get complicated... or an i over thinking this? Is it possible to add too much nutrient/MLB to the wine?

I'm getting a bit lost here!

You don't need headspace. Mix your MLB, ActiML, and water as directed, use a little math to figure out how many ml of your mixture needs to go into each vessel, and distribute it as such. I use a syringe graduated in ml and keep the slurry well mixed during the entire distribution process.

I divide my culture after rehydrating in Acti-ML. Rehydrate according to instructions. I think it's 50g acti ML in 250mL water. And then add 2.5g Vp41. For 55G wine, I'd just portion the rehydrated ML culture based on each containers percentage of the entire 55G. Don't worry about what seems to be an OD.

This has never failed me and is easy. It's too difficult to divide 2.5g MLB.

You should not have to worry about headspace, ML is not as active as AF. Do leave a little though.

Thank you.

I presse over the weekend and my wine has been sitting as the gross lees have settled. I just haven't had the time to rack yet and begin the Mlf. I just hope I didn't compromise anything in terms of wine stability or Mlf process

So right after I rack I can inoculate?

Should I make sure the wine is aerated as it is racked into vessel?

Thanks

Thank you.

I presse over the weekend and my wine has been sitting as the gross lees have settled. I just haven't had the time to rack yet and begin the Mlf. I just hope I didn't compromise anything in terms of wine stability or Mlf process

So right after I rack I can inoculate?

Should I make sure the wine is aerated as it is racked into vessel?

Thanks

Rack off of the gross lees and inoculate, it should be just fine. I typically put my MLB nutrients into my target carboy and then rack, add the MLB, and airlock it. Headspace is not your friend now, keep it topped up properly, gentle stirring a couple times per week.

What temp do you folks prefer to MLF at?

I've got mine cellar at 70 right now... just started...

@Siwash

I can't tell you that from personal experimentation, but my understanding of the fermentation parameters are that the vigor increases with temperature (as long as you don't exceed the max for your particular strain) and with pH. So a warmer, higher pH wine should proceed with more vigor than a cooler, lower pH wine.

It takes as long as it takes. Temperature plays a part, but not all that much. I always have my wines in my basement, which is about 65-68 about now. It does just fine. Generally 2 months and don't get excited, if you think nothing is happening, you may not see or hear anything.

So you're saying I should stop staring at the carboys waiting for a party to happen?

Not speaking for cmason, but you are correct. Give a gentle stir a time or two per week, run a monthly chromo, and just let it happen. Start some new projects......

You may not have been speaking for me, but you said about the same as I would. Except for, when you think it is done, wait another two weeks or even a month.

Latest posts

Back