Ascorbic acid in place of acid blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeflections

Reaction score
I've started another 5 gallons of ginger wine only to realize I was almost out of acid blend. My recipe called for 4 TBS of acid blend so I used my last TBS of acid blend plus 3 TBS of acsorbic acid I had in my canning cupboard.

Of course now that that horse has left the barn, I thought I ask you experts if I blew it. If so, can I fix it? I have no way of testing ph BTW.

Dude ( tipsy off of rice wine, Mauby wine and some Jamaicn rum), ,. Whatever you make, if you like it, awesome! My brother has limes, my sister, lemons, whatever the taste is after adding these instead of acid Blend, so be it. I'm not a commercial manufacturer that demands 100% consistency, so, whatever happens, happens as long as it's not toxic. Lol
( NOVICE HERE)

Ascorbic acid is a bad choice because it is a very weak acid, so won't bring your pH down as well as acid blend does. Wouldn't recommend it in the future. I'm guessing the taste will be weird, but if it's OK then it won't hurt otherwise.

Ascorbic acid is a bad choice because it is a very weak acid, so won't bring your pH down as well as acid blend does. Wouldn't recommend it in the future. I'm guessing the taste will be weird, but if it's OK then it won't hurt otherwise.

Thanks! I do have some acid blend coming in a couple of days. I guess I could a a couple TBS then to bring down the pH. At that point it will still be in the primary.

See what you get in the end, then you can adjust the acid, when you get your supply of it up. I think that the only concern with acid, and fermentation, is with a overly high acid, and stalling it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back