Quantcast

Article on oak types

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
It's interesting how the same species grown in reatively the same area of France can have such different qualities.
I thought the same thing. Slightly different soil, weather, elevation, etc, etc, etc has influence. Just like grapes.

Martin Amell

Junior
Reaction score
It's my understanding that barrels for wine or any other alcohol are almost always white oak as opposed to red oak as white oak is much less prone to decay and is a much harder wood to begin with. While wine makers look for specific characteristics woodworkers look for other characteristics. I like the ray flecks in oak. It's always such a beautiful look.

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
It's my understanding that barrels for wine or any other alcohol are almost always white oak as opposed to red oak as white oak is much less prone to decay and is a much harder wood to begin with. While wine makers look for specific characteristics woodworkers look for other characteristics. I like the ray flecks in oak. It's always such a beautiful look.
From what I understand, they don't use red oak because it imparts a cat pee type of smell. I may have that confused with something else. Wine is involved.

Latest posts