Aronia berry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crooked cork

Reaction score
I have made about 10 5 gallon batchs of aronia berry wine in the past 3 years mostly sweet, 1 turned out very tannic and i thought it was fabulous i have tried to recreate twice with no luck, any suggestions? I started another batch today and really mashed the berries and am going to leave them in primary until fermentation stops maybe that will leach out enough tannin.

I froze my aronia berries then crushed them frozen and then it actually went thru cold masculation on its own. Then added oak chips and tannins and enzymes, It turned out extremely well

I also used go ferm and fermaid K

I froze my aronia berries then crushed them frozen and then it actually went thru cold masculation on its own. Then added oak chips and tannins and enzymes, It turned out extremely well

I also used go ferm and fermaid K
Sounds interesting thanks for the advice

Update on aronia berry wine.
I bottled 2 5 gallon batches, I back sweetened both batches with 2 cans grape juice concentrate.
The rc212 batch is a little tannic and leaves my lips dry which i like.
Both batches have gotten great reviews from local wine drinkers.

I have made a number of batches of aronia wine. First I freeze them and then steam juice them. My question is does the juice lose its "medicinal" properties when heated? I have found steaming is preferable since I don't have a crusher and doing it by hand takes too long. BTW, I also steam chokecherries, apples, plums and other fruit that might normally be crushed.

I would'nt know about medicinal properties, sorry. I freeze my berries then thaw, heat to kill wild yeast then crush with a potato masher, ferment for first 7 days on fruit then squeeze out fruit bag, be sure to wear glove as the must will stain your hands for days. Just blended some over sweet finished aronia wine with some unsweetened rhubarb. WOW it tastes great. Calling it Viking Rhubarb.

I am fortunate to have 2 nearby sources. A one-time grape winery has basically transitioned to aronia. The other is a private party who planted 1,000's of bushes 6-7 years ago. Their first year they handpicked 1200 lbs. and went to pick your own. The 2 are hoping to find a reasonably priced system for mechanical picking. This is in central South Dakota.

Latest posts

Back