Arizona Jeep Project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted a pic or three of the new to me 1997 jeep I picked up mid October. My original plans were to do little to it other than make sure it was mechanically sound. Well after having some time to think it over I've decided to put a little more effort into it and make it a DIY project. Already have solid running gears so the main parts of the project are cosmetic. I've replaced sway bars, worn or broken. The entire exhaust, shot and bad O2 sensors. Today I gutted the tub, sanded and roughed up the surfaces in prep for spraying Raptor bed liner, hopefully Friday. Searching for a back folding seat and then plan to have all upholstered. It has a broken rear coil and I'm trying to decide whether to just fix the rear suspension or put a new lift kit all around. That way I'd know I have good shocks and coils from the start. Replacing front fenders, fender flairs, grill, windshield and tires at the end. Body and Paint by Kraffty which is the part I'm looking forward to but fearing the most. Color choice of the day is turquoise body with black roll cage, windshield, grill, bumpers and side bars. I haven't rebuilt a car since my spitfire and GT6 days in my 20's and 30's, should be fun and even though I plan on making it pretty I still plan on taking it out to get scratched and dirty in the desert.
Jeep gutted Sanded.jpgJeep gutted.jpgJeep Exhaust.jpgJeep Black Exhaust.jpg

Great project. I'm an old body man. Body and paint is a take your time thing. If you can feel your bodywork with the tips of your fingers, or see it, painting it won't make it better. That's a beginner's mistake.

Everything I've seen or read says exactly what Jim said, prep, prep, prep. I took my time getting the bed ready for the liner coating and I'm really pleased with how it laid down. 3 days total labor, $150.00 in Raptor materials plus about $100.00 misc. materials which will also be used when I paint. Now it just needs to cure for 5 or 7 days. the shiny finish should dull down a bit while I decide which next step I'll take. Leaning towards suspension but it's hard (impatient) not to want to get onto the body work and paint.
JeepBedaPrimed.jpgJeepBedCoated.jpg

So I've started prepping the extra set of used front fenders that came with the jeep. Sanded down to metal, primed and painted black in the engine compartment side, black frame paint in the wheel well side and just primed on the exterior sides. Stripped all the components mounted to the inside of the fenders then pulled the fenders off. Plan on pulling the original grill tomorrow then starting to sand the replacement down to metal and then priming. Made the decision to buy a new 2.5 lift kit and then I'll be able to install the new shocks and coils while it's stripped down and setting on jack stands. Should make life easier even though it means it's going to sit a couple of weeks until parts arrive. In the mean time I can clean up the engine compartment, knock off the surface rust from the frame and suspension and paint those parts black with POR 15 to protect them. Lori's only concern is "we better not have to pay someone to put it all back together", how tough can it be... right...?
Stripped Jeep.jpg

I see you have jack stands for your jack stands. Is that to help with the lift kit or did you just need more elbow room under there?

Yes, need extra height to allow suspension to drop. Once I disconnect the sway arm links the rest of the suspension should fall enough or be pushed down with a bottle jack enough to let the coils just pull out and same with the shocks. Putting the tires under the frame is an extra safety step I just learned on YouTube in case the jack stands fail or tip.

Lori's only concern is "we better not have to pay someone to put it all back together", how tough can it be... right...?

Take lots of pix! My project has been ongoing for 15 years due to delays and life happening. The pix are invaluable.

Yes, need extra height to allow suspension to drop. Once I disconnect the sway arm links the rest of the suspension should fall enough or be pushed down with a bottle jack enough to let the coils just pull out and same with the shocks. Putting the tires under the frame is an extra safety step I just learned on YouTube in case the jack stands fail or tip.

Nah, those H-F stands ain't gonna fail! :cool: Seriously, I have a set of them, too.

carup.jpg

Lots of work over the last week and a half, though mostly behind the scenes (prep) stuff. Front fenders are ready to hang as soon as I finish installing the new suspension and have been painted with black undercoat inside the fender wells, Gloss black inside engine compartment surface and primed exterior surfaces. I spent about 4 days cleaning the frame from the firewall forward and treating with the 3 step POR 15 Coating to prevent any future rust and improve looks. Front suspension parts have all finally staggered in and I can hopefully install them tomorrow. After having some time to inspect things closer I chose to replace the sway bar bushings, track bar (beefier and adjustable for the higher lift), tie rod end to drag link, steering damper, bump stops (extended models) and lastly the 2.5" lift Coils and Shocks. I was told by the original seller that this had a 2.5 lift but it turns out it just had 1.5" spacers on top of the stock springs, these springs are a good 7" longer and I expect it to set a bit higher when done. Once I button up the front I'll strip and coat the rest of the frame and then replace some of the rear suspension parts and hopefully be ready to start on the body work. Pics are the replacement body parts and then the before and after frame coating and the pile 'o suspension parts to install.fenders&Grill.jpg
1Frame.jpg2Frame.jpg3Suspension.jpg

Very cool, Mike! So much for buying a 'beater' just do drive around to photo sites, eh? :p
I don’t believe I’m the only one here that ends up going a little over board once taking on a project. My wife gives me grief but understands where things are heading well before I do whenever I take on a interest. I just want my Beater to be nicer than it needs to be. … speaking of Nor

Hopefully no leftover "extra parts" !

View attachment 82558
New front suspension installed, Grill and one fender bolted on. Frankenstein collection of body parts on front end (different years of TJ fenders, grill and hood) fitting together perfectly so far.

Latest posts

Back