WineXpert Argentine Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wines just fine

Reaction score
I started this Selection International kit last night and it's boiling away this morning. I'm hoping that it will be good to drink by Christmas (five months away).

Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Being a 15 litre kit it should be pretty good but I don't know if it will be good by Christmas.

If you want to drink it @ Christmas that means you need to bottle it the end of November. The wine will be very young. If you can't wait then bottle in November. It will be much better 6-12 months later.
BTW Malbec is a great wine. I usually make 5 cases a year from Chilean juice. In fact I have 12 gallons aging right now.

You're probably right Tom, it will be young at Christmas.

I'm looking forward to this one already. I decided to try this one after drinking a bottle of Malbec-Sauvignon, which I really enjoyed. I might even try to get another batch going to try blending some.

I'm not sure what's going on with this one. It tastes great, but at six weeks it is just not clearing.

1st did you degas before adding clearing agents?
What are you using to clear?

Malbec has been one of my favorite wjines once I started to like red wines.

Tom,

I think you may be right. I thought I had the gas out but I may wrong.

If I get the gas out now will it clear or will I have to add more chitosan?

wines_just_fine:

What temp was the wine at when you degassed? Cool wines are very difficult to degas.

Steve

Steve(cpfan) is correct. You should have temps right around 74* when degassing or you might as well beat your head against the carboy.

I added more sorbate and another packet of chitosan and it cleared up nicely. :h I bottled it today and it tastes great. :d

I'll get another batch going soon, 'cause I have a feeling this batch is going to disappear quickly! ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back