Are wines made with honey gassier?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryh86GT

Reaction score
I bottled my 1 gal+ batches of raspberry,honey & hops, and raspberry & honey yesterday and when I degassed (still not done yet it appears) there was a trememdous supply of large bubbles coming out. I was using my Snail Wine Saver Evacuator Pump and the process seems endless. My raspberry wines made with sugar had very little gas when I degassed them. Does honey increase the gas in the wine?

Larry

more info
Whats the starting gravity and what's it now

in a word, no. honey is 'just sugar' and ferments pretty completely just like corn sugar/dextrose.

cooler temps and thicker finaly gravities would likely hold more gas in solution.

I've had a number of gassy batches of mead, and I've always thought that it was due to a slower fermentation. That is, even with nutrient additions, meads can take longer to finish than wines, so when you're ready to bottle there's more CO2 still trapped in it. Wines tend to finish in a week to ten days, so by month 4 or 5 there's been plenty of time for the CO2 to escape on its own.

Greg G.

I would say its harder to get the C02 out usually due to its thicker viscosity. Also like Greg said because its so viscous and takes longer the fermentation isnt as violent so the C02 doesnt get blown out as much.

I am on my thrid batch of mead and every batch has been gassy. So my expereince says Yes

I put it under air lock, warm it to 70 and shack it every day. Ages it and degases at same time. It takes about a month my way. I vacuumed the crap out of it and gave up

I've been degassing these 2 wines daily. I've noticed that the raspberry,honey,&hops wine produces large bubbles and that the raspberry & honey wine is producing small bubbles. The amount does not appear to be decreasing as I degass either.

Larry

Latest posts

Back