Are wine kits user friendly and the best choice for a first time winemaker?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a look at what I have made so far, over 30 kits. I feel the instructions are easy to follow, most taste well and they are fun to make. Thanks to everyone on here i have learned ways to tweak the kits and take them to the next level. There is no reason to bash kts as there are kits out there for everyone depending on your taste and budget.

Last edited:
I didn't ask you to agree with me Steve. I know just sprinkling it on top will work, but how many times has that method failed? I know a hundred ways to start a campfire and if I am cold enough, I am going to make sure I use the method that GUARANTEES success. Thats all I am saying. I know you have made a zillion kits and am not trying to insinuate anyone deviates from the instructions, I only questioned whether or not they are clear enough for the average user.

And no Dan, I am not bashing kits whatsoever, period. The intentions of my post never suggested that. I was only questioning whether or not they provided enough instructions to assure a first time user success. I think back to my very first post in here and it was regarding using bread yeast. So here I am, even after 30 or so batches, I am still confused, and I feel as though I have somewhat of an understanding. I never said, or meant to portray there was no room left to learn. I only asked if these kit mftrs supply you with enough info.

Thats all.

Troy

I didn't ask you to agree with me Steve. I know just sprinkling it on top will work, but how many times has that method failed?
Failed...I can't recall a time that it has failed for me. Yes, I know there is a current post about it failing for someone, but I personally think there must be a reason.

Steve

i think there are more waysin which to fail when a beginner undertakes making a yeast starter. sprinkling dry yeast onto the top of the must is a practical solution that eliminates the variables of temp, time and nutrient for a beginner and has no impact on the final outcome of the wine versus hydrating and making a starter.

though i have made starters before, for a kit, i don't bother...

As a beginner, I'll offer my thoughts. First, realize that the people that come to a forum are usually the ones with some questions. Someone who has maybe a friend with experience helping them, or who is less apt to seek help probably won't post (although if they fail, the are generally unlikely to try again). Having said that, my process was:
1) Buy an equipment kit
2) Buy a wine kit
3) Make wine.

For a beginner, knowing that everything is in the kit is great. Juice, additives, and instructions. Beautiful.

The instructions don't cover things such as how to bottle, but generally just providing the steps needed to actually make the wine. Certain things arise such as "Oh shoot, I don't have a long spoon!" arise, and online help is needed for things such as proper sanitizing, and understanding the stages that wine goes through. I had no idea why I was taking an initial hydrometer reading (as per the instructions), but I found out why.

Overall things are going pretty well and I have no regrets about starting out with kits.

Lizzybob, everything you said is exactly right. This is also the reason I started out exactly like you did. I agree that first timers starting out on their own and afraid to ask questions and then made a mistake. YUCK..and they give up. Most mistakes mentioned on this forum were fixed by the experienced wine makers who made the same mistakes at one time or another. I wonder how many batches were thrown out because they tasted so bad and in reality they just hadn't aged or matured yet.

I'm looking into getting started on this kind of thing, and I was wondering...if I get a 3 gallon starter kit, will I be able to get the 6 gallon wine kits and split them into two separate batches, or are they not really packaged/designed to be split up?

I ask because I'd like to start relatively small and upgrade as I learn more. We don't really have the money for me to be burning it up on a new hobby.

Mcparadigm
If you want to make a 6 gallon kit then get a 6 gallon carboy, not 3 gallon these kits are designed to be made 6 gallons, 23 litres, at one time, they have all the ingredients like bentonite, yeast, potassium sulphite, sorbate, and clearing agent, which get added at different stages, you would be creating yourself a lot of extra work by trying to divide all of that up.

Alright, thank you.

Is this approach, do you think, the best way to get started with wine making?

Alright, thank you.

Is this approach, do you think, the best way to get started with wine making?

best is a qualitative term. 23L/6 US Gal kits are most often what the equipment kits sold online and by the LHBS are based around, so from a convenience POV, it is usually easiest to start with these 30 bottle kits.

Yes best way. You risk comtamination oy the "other" half if you dont do all. Keep in mind.. making 6 gallons take the same time and labor to make.

could have used more instruction

I bought an equipment kit and can of wine base. The kit I got gave a pretty good summary of what each piece did but not much information on how and when to use. I could have used more instruction and while I hate to admit it pictures would have been helpfull for me.

Jbuck:

Unfortunately in this hobby the word kit covers two different items. First, the equipment kit. And yes, very few, if any give much info about the use of the equipment. Some retailers include a basic winemaking booklet with their starter kits. Others include nothing. At least you got something.

Second is a wine kit. This is equivalent to your can of wine base. This includes juice/concentrate, additives, and an instruction sheet. Usually when we refer to a kit, this what we are talking about.

Steve

I think kits are a great way to get started. The step by step instructions really helped me out a ton!

Latest posts

Back