Are Titrets Effective?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSnob

Reaction score
I make mostly kits and tend not to worry about my sulfite levels since I add the usually recommended amounts at the right time plus another batch every 3-4 months during carboy aging. But I have also made some non-kit wines. I decided to try Titrets to assess the free SO2 levels in my wine.

I found them difficult to use - For practice I used Titrets for one of my bottled Rieslings (it took two to get it right and it read 35ppm. For the second wine sample - my raspberry - I had to use two and neither one worked. The first drew up an inadequate sample and the second drew up no sample at all. The raspberry is beautiful medium pink and extremely clear. Yes, I know, it is not recommended for red wines but this is not a typical dark wine and has few tannins. I followed the directions very closely.

Are all these Titrets difficult to use? And what has been the experience of others in their accuracy?

I know some of you have paid $100 to $300 and find that it is a wonderful instrument that does a fine job for you. I'm not sure it's worth that expenditure for me. Is there another feasible option for me?

NS

I've gone thru 2-3 kits myself. I make my wine from juice not a kit. After awhile you get in a routine where you get pretty close after doing several batches. I would recommend doing them from time to time just to see that you are still close.

In time you will get better at reading them.

Thanks Dan & Steve. Is there a compromise between Titrets and the $100 plus instruments out there?

NS

The Titrets are the compromise between nothing and the Vinmetrica ($250) with is the compromise to the AO system ($300-$400).
Dan, we need to have a conversation on testing. I relied on your testing this spring on the Chilean Malbec and Carmenere juices and now have some of the best wines I ever made ready to bottle. I need to get up to speed on testing!

Dan, we need to have a conversation on testing. I relied on your testing this spring on the Chilean Malbec and Carmenere juices and now have some of the best wines I ever made ready to bottle. I need to get up to speed on testing!

Thank you Phil!

Can I be included in this conversation? :)

Yes, its very accurate and easy to use. Morewine has posted very nice videos on youtube on how to set it up and run the analysis. The only down side is it takes a bit of time to set up, run it and then clean up afterwards but you can run a test from start to finish in 25 min. 5 min set up, 15 min purge, 5 min titration.

The Vinemetrica is easier but is way more expensive.

Ib glowin have u found the more wine a/o to be accurate and easy to use?
Thanks for any tips here

Ahhh yes, Powder A, B, Liquid X, Y....... WTF?

Looks like a complete mystery kit of sorts!

Ha Ha that's what I thought too:D

Did some research after posting this :slp and it sounds like something similar to an acid test kit where you add chemicals until you see a color change...
which I'm not fond of.

Latest posts

Back