Are these edible grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
In truth I am not a would be winemaker.
Just somebody renting a house with garden, and a what looks suspiciously like grapes growing in a corner and giving fruits in what I think is the correct season in the UK.
But before tasting I would like to know if they are actually grapes.
Sorry if this is probably the dumbest question ever asked on this forum :D

Could somebody have a look to the images and help me out?

Thanks!
Cal

They certainly appear to be grapes. Can you ask the person from whom you are renting what they are? It would seem if they were dangerous, they would have been removed by the landlord. I doubt they are harmful but one never knows.

Looks like grapes & grape leaves to me. Check with your landlord as to the variety. You could also check with your county extension agent, they'll require a sample though.
Regards, GF.

They absolutely are grapes. Looks like table grapes but it's hard to guess the variety without taste. The leaves are a giveaway. Don't be afraid of them. Break one open and you will see that there is jelly-like grape flesh inside and tiny seeds. They look delicious and the vine looks healthy. What luck! If they haven't been tended to in awhile, harvest the grapes and give the vines some attention by trimming them where needed. This will encourage new growth and more grapeage.

Thanks so much everybody, appreciated!
I asked the landlady time ago but she did not know.
She bought the house from somebody years ago, I guess that if the vines were planted, it was done by the previous owner.

@winetortoise thanks for the advice! I am not even sure if we will be still here next Autumn to, quite literally, harvest the fruits, but why not.
I will harvest the grapes and trim the vines.
I see the leaves are yellowish, incoming autumn aside, and have bumps in places, so I was guessing it might be some parasite or infection.
I'll look it up online in case there is something I can do about it.

@winetortoise thanks for the advice! I am not even sure if we will be still here next Autumn to, quite literally, harvest the fruits, but why not.
I will harvest the grapes and trim the vines.
I see the leaves are yellowish, incoming autumn aside, and have bumps in places, so I was guessing it might be some parasite or infection.
I'll look it up online in case there is something I can do about it.

They probably haven't been tended to in a long time. They need to be pruned and the leaves trimmed in order to promote the health of the entire vines. Growing free and wild, they become strained and less healthy over time. You can also tell that there were some periods of thirst, probably due to lack of rain for some time repeatedly. The leaves would start dying off, but then with the returning rain, the leaves would pick back up again with many yellowed and wilting leaves recuperating, leading to what you have now.

Some pruning and ensuring they have water consistently will clean them up quite nicely. Nutrients appear to be sufficient. There seems to be no sign or symptom of parasitic activity--they look healthy and productive besides the lack of water. Actually they look resilient and toughened. I suggest not tampering with their conditions or environment because they are probably comfortable not being disturbed much at this point and might even be "wild-ened." Prune--water--harvest--and their health and productivity will likely exponentiate.

Definetely water supply is an issue.
It's a detached garden so we rely on the rain, and English weather is quite variable. One week will pour down, another will be sunny or simply cloudy.
We have been here a few years now and this is the first time they produced more than a few grapes and reasonably big.
Probably we got lucky with the weather this year, the summer has been sunnier than usual.
It's great that they don't look like they are suffering from infections and parasites, thanks for commenting on that.
I'll prune them and, when the weather sunny again next year, I will try and water them by hand from time to time.
Right now they are getting abundant rain, and it sound like the weather will stay awful over the next week.

Thanks again !

Definetely water supply is an issue.
It's a detached garden so we rely on the rain, and English weather is quite variable. One week will pour down, another will be sunny or simply cloudy.
We have been here a few years now and this is the first time they produced more than a few grapes and reasonably big.
They have reached maturity. That means they have their whole lives ahead of them to produce fruit. Pollinators are key--here in America the grapes seem to be pollinated by various bees. Probably, that is the case these in England as well. Clearly, though, your grapes were pollinated well, otherwise they wouldn't have grown so lush and even.

I'll prune them and, when the weather sunny again next year, I will try and water them by hand from time to time.
During a week of dry rain, a bucket of water or two upon each "patch" of vine stems should hold them over. Surely the drainage is more than excellent, so you shouldn't have to worry about too much water. As grapes, more than likely they love water anyhow.

Right now they are getting abundant rain, and it sound like the weather will stay awful over the next week.

Thanks again !

What a happy fortune you've found. Good luck with your adopted beauties, they're finally grown up enough to reproduce on their own in the big world.
;)

They sort of remind of the muscadines that grow here in the Southeastern US (a large territory to be sure). That makes me wonder if they are native grapes to the region or at least naturalized from nearby. Can you tell me if the seeds are noticeable and/or too hard to chew? Do you they have many seeds or just 1 or a few?

Latest posts

Back