are there wine kit not recommendable?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celeriman

Junior
Reaction score
I want to begin wine making (I've been a beer brewer for at least 1 year). Are there any kits not recommended at all (or kind of kit)?

Or are there any kits less recommendable?

Im not to fond of Winexpert red wine kits or smaller red wine kits in general, they all come out very thin IMO. White wines dont vary that much from smaller kits to bigger kits, the bigger ones are usually better but not by a heck of a lot. i onl make grape skin kits in the 16-18 liter size. They all make 23 liters just in case you are getting confused, its the amount of juice that comes in there, the rest of the volume is added water bu you. I prefer the RJ Spagnols Cellar Classic Winery Series myself. Glad to have you aboard.

celeriman:

Being in Canada, you have a large range of kits available, depending exactly where you live. The following manufacturers are all good...Vineco. Winexpert, RJ SPagnols, Cellar Craft, Heron Bay, and Wine Kitz. If you encounter any other brands, please ask, as I may have reasons for omitting. Each company makes a number of lines. As Wade mentioned, the quality varies across the lines, and which ones aren't good may depend on personal taste. The two-in-a-package kits sold at Costco are reported to be weak in flavour, body, and taste; however, there are lots of people who keep buying these kits.

The Cellar Classic Winery Series that Wade loves is best with two years of aging. Not many first timers can handle that wait.

Do you know what brands are carried by your local stores? Also if you provided some idea what varieties you like, we may have suggestions of what to make.

Steve

I just responded to a post where I said something similar. Saying you like salad and then asking what greens are best to include. Alot of variables on the table.

Although I am not a kit maker, I CAN say that I have heard the Island Mist kits come out thin and with a low alcohol.

Considering what you like, how much alcohol you like, how much patience, and of course what resources(money) you have the list can go on. Steve(CP) is one of our senior kit guys in here and he is the best one to at least toss a qualified opinion at you.

I hope he can contribute to a new member who asked a similar question in another post, the same as at you. He pointed out also, some kits can head for a bottle in 4 -8 weeks and some take longer. So patience is another thing to consider when it comes to these kits.

Price, holy cow!, some of these kits can get real expensive, but you pay for the quality of some exquisite fruits and grapes.

So to ask which one is the best , is a VERY broad question. "Ifin" you can afford it, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a higher priced kit, as long as you follow the directions, you are almost assured to have a fantastic wine. That isn't to say a lower priced kit will give you a less than fantastic wine. It has to do with preference, cost, patience, and availability.

Just my unqualified opinion. Good luck in whatever route you take. You will always have people in here willing to help.

Troy

Last edited:
My suggestion would be go to your local store and ask lots and lots of questions .They can explain the difference in the kits and what makes some more expensive . Some are good when they are made but better with age then some like the mist wines are drinkable right away .The mist wines are wine coolers not what you would call real wine IMO but are very good tasting . I would say like Troy get the most expensive one you can afford right now , so you aren't disappointed .Also they should ask you what type of wine you like to drink then suggest a kit is close to that wine .

Than again NS, just because someone works at a brew shop means they have any knowledge. My local HBS's owner asked me just the other day about managing the place. I could barely fake the wine end of it, and I know almost nothing about beer. I could do the management and organizing end but just because you work there, doesn't necessarily mean you have any knowledge!

Thats why I am so happy and proud to be a member of a site like this. I can find an answer in here way faster, and have a "qualified" answer faster than I can from an unknown clerk at a brew shop. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are many shops who look for knowledgable people to work in them, but if I am going to spend a whole lot of money on a kit, supplies, fruit, grains, etc., and then I have a question or a problem, I'd sure like the one giving me advice to have a little experience behind them!

This is something to consider for anyone new to brewing their own. This is why we have this great site here.

Troy

Celeriman - welcome to a great hobby! As others mentioned it would be good to know what your tastes are in wine before recommending any particular kits. If you are new to wine drinking as well as wine making, it has been my experience that a lot of people tend to start with sweeter white wines and over time, move to drier ones and more reds. You may or may not fit into this category but if you do, many German whites come with sweetening packs and are very good off dry wines. Also any kit can be back sweetened. Anyway, list your preferences and you will get lots of recommendations.
Good luck .. Doug

Doug is absolutely right. the only analogy I can think of is saying you enjoy salds, what dressing to reccomend? Well what do you like? We will sure turn you in the right direction. but you have to tell us more.

Troy:

You are correct, knowledge in an LHBS varies from store-to-store and person-to-person. Some won't know anything about brands not carried in the store, some will be biased for/against specific brands. You will also get responses based on personal likes. A buddy who ran an LHBS sold a lot of Liebfraumilch because he tried it and liked it. I turned him on to a specific German Gewurztraminer kit, and 6 months later it was outselling the Liebfraumilch.

I make a point of regularly mentioning the Vineco brands on these forums. You could say that I am biased towards them, but I do it for two reasons. One, they get very little 'face time' because of their poor distribution in the USA. Two, I sold these products and know many of them well, so I continue to make them and enjoy them.

Steve

Than again NS, just because someone works at a brew shop means they have any knowledge. My local HBS's owner asked me just the other day about managing the place. I could barely fake the wine end of it, and I know almost nothing about beer. I could do the management and organizing end but just because you work there, doesn't necessarily mean you have any knowledge!

Thats why I am so happy and proud to be a member of a site like this. I can find an answer in here way faster, and have a "qualified" answer faster than I can from an unknown clerk at a brew shop. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are many shops who look for knowledgable people to work in them, but if I am going to spend a whole lot of money on a kit, supplies, fruit, grains, etc., and then I have a question or a problem, I'd sure like the one giving me advice to have a little experience behind them!

This is something to consider for anyone new to brewing their own. This is why we have this great site here.

Troy

Your right but I guess we lucked out that we have family owned and run store .They just celebrated 15 yrs in business plus they were making they own wine long before that so they are very helpful . Like they told us they are only a phone call away also if we are in doubt about anything so we don't haveto go to the store . Also like here thier theory is the stupid question is the one we don't ask . I love :try this site but sometimes I just don't have the time search for the answer I also love that you can have your own opinion without getting gagged on .Also what we did was go buy the wines we were wondering if we would like in a commercial brand to see if we liked that style of wine .

Steve or anyone else what brand of German Gewurztraminer kit did you like it's on my list of kits to try next year ?

NS:

Since you're in Canada, I can recommend the Ken Ridge Showcase German Gewurztraminer. We really like it dry, so we add the Suss Reserve pack to the primary.

I would expect the Cru Select German Gewurztraminer to also be good, but haven't tried it. We made the Cheeky Monkey German Gewurztraminer this year, but sweetened it with the enclosed pack to appeal more to family & friends. It's good, but for my wife and I, it would probably be better either dry, or with just half the pouch.

Steve

Sorry i just realized I didn't say thanks for the info Steve guess I got busy seeing if I could buy the Ken Ridge around here ,I can but not right in town but not a big deal we travel to the city often so could pick it up then I think they carry the Cheeky monkey also .

Have you tried the California Connoisseur it's only a 28 day wine but might be good to give to company lol or for us to have so we don't drink our aging wine .
California White - Special white blend developed as our Winemaster's Selection. This excellent blended wine features French Colombard

White Bordailles - Smooth, delicate, fruity bouquet and a soft, light flavour. Feature grape varieties are Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon.

OP?...dunno if you like dessert wines?..

I wholeheartedly suggest an orange muscat dessert wine..

Unmissable!

perhaps put it on your xmas list for next year?

Allie:bt

Thanks but i don't care for anything with the Muscat in it ,not my taste .I do like to try all kinds of wine so any suggestions are welcome from me .

NSwiner:

I used to run a Ferment on Premises in BC, and sold Vineco and Spagnols kits. Neither the Caifornia White nor the White Bordailles were good sellers for me. Not that they are bad, just nobody bought 'em, so I stopped bringing them in.

The California Connoisseur Merlot was the second best selling kit in the store (Ken Ridge Classic Merlot was #1). I don't recall making any Calif Conn kits for my own consumption, I usually don't make anything smaller than a 10 litre kit (Ken Ridge Classic or Cheeky Monkey).

Where I shop now, the price difference between a Calif Conn white and a Ken Ridge Classic white is $15 per kit, or 50 cents a bottle. And the Cheeky Monkey is another $4 per kit.

Steve

Well since I'm an impatient person I didn't want to wait to go back to the city to buy my kit so I Bought the Wine Expert Selection Original series Gewurztraminer in town last night that I'm going to start today .

Latest posts

Back