Are T-cork,Mushroom cork and unsealed screw cap suitable for few months wine aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screw cap is definitely one of the best ways to avoid oxidation. Of course, it's mostly for Sauvignon Blanc's or fresh variety is there a supposed to be consumed within one year. I wouldn't relate wine to anything mushroom me or you stay as it might affect the taste after a while. I have big respect for mushrooms of course and recently I started consuming on a daily basis lion's mane mushroom due to its so many attributes for a better daily mood and energy. Combine it with one or two glasses of wine on a daily basis and you are definitely chilled out.

I guess I missed the point of your comment regarding mushrooms.

Which one is best for preventing oxidation?
Of the three options you give, the mushroom cork is the best option, and I’m assuming that you mean a mushroom shaped cork, like in champagne. I don’t have the toolage to install one properly, and this isn’t what its intended for, but it would work.
I wouldn’t use t-corks, too loose fitting, they’re used to cork whiskey, brandy, cognac, and other spirits, not intended for wine.
“Unsealed“ screw cap wouldn’t even be on my list, why would you consider an unsealed cap?

What’s wrong with a nice wine cork for sealing wine and allowing perfect air transfer / aging potential regardless of storage time?

* all cap will leak some oxygen, what you want is a tight seal against the glass, cork is porous therefore it will leak quite a few mg per month
* to prevent oxidation the biggest factor will be how much ullage there is/ do you flush with nitrogen etc

the second post in “industrial course” talks about oxidation Australian Wine Research did a good webinar on closures and oxygen transmission
Which one is best for preventing oxidation? QUOTE]

Back