Are all airlocks created equal?

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by NorCal, Dec 3, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Dec 5, 2019 #21

stickman

stickman

stickman

Veteran Winemaker

@BMarNJ be careful when topping with commercial wine, many of the typical daily drinking wines contain some residual sugar, it's not a problem when your wine was just put into the secondary, but when your wine has already aged 6 or 9 months, it is possible to see some unexpected CO2 release maybe a couple of weeks after topping.
    I'm not saying to not use commercial for topping, I've used it many times, but just be aware of the possibility that it contains some residual sugar, you can't always tell by taste.

mainshipfred likes this.
  2. Dec 5, 2019 #22

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Junior Member WMT Supporter

Good point, commercial wines with residual sugar are probably sterile filtered to prevent fermentation.

stickman likes this.
  3. Dec 5, 2019 #23

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Maybe you could try a expandable mechanical plug like we use in boats, something like this: https://www.grainger.com/category/p...plugs?attrs=Nominal+Size|1-1/4"&filters=attrs

If you could find the right size, it may help solve the issue, I'm unsure if neoprene rubber is a proper material for the application, but it doesn't touch your wine.............

Ajmassa likes this.
  4. Dec 5, 2019 #24

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

A water column air lock will always be capable of sucking into the container. The difference in height between the two sides is a measure of how much pressure or vacuum, therefore if it is an inch you will have about .1 Kia pressure or vacuum , , , maximum!
    Yes to your question, there will be some oxygen transport through the liquid, not likely significant with a good size carboy. With smaller containers it will have a higher percentage effect.
    Good observation
    I have some flexible plastic containers that I run with a 1 or 0.5 Kia check valve, (ie like Steve puts into a head space eliminator)
    Silicone bungs seem good but have never tried to measure pressure or vacuum. For me silicone is as good as it gets. The hollow shell style always slips out so I don’t use em long term. The white rubber are good when new but harden when exposed to SO2 or 2 years old or have dust on them.
    I use solid corks on things that are over 9 months.
    One time I ran a big mouth bubbler wound up with a silicone funnel that fit the opening and some kind of light air lock on top of that. , , , summary, silicone especially clean new silicone always is effective.
    If I had vacuum on a barrel I would ask what could I do to slow the effect, this is why god invented high humidity wine cellars.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  5. Dec 6, 2019 #25

BMarNJ

BMarNJ

BMarNJ

Supporting Members WMT Supporter

@Johnd, I've learned that drying trick from this forum and use in on my pool gizmos with PVC (if you have a pool you know what gizmos are). So much of what I’ve learned from pool maintenance, cheese making and wine making overlap. Lots of chemistry and lots of patience.

Johnd likes this.
  6. Dec 6, 2019 #26

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Just don't add the bacterial or mold cultures to the pool! :D

But seriously: Amen, brother!

Johnd likes this.
  7. Dec 6, 2019 #27

buzi

buzi

buzi

How about this? If you have properly sealed your barrel, as the"angels share" leaves the barrel thought the staves and wood, it leaves a vacuum behind.

However, I typically leave my new wine in the garage for a few months. By the time it gets to the basement and warms up I typically have a 6 or 6.5g carboy or two that expands and pushes up into the airlock. It seems a little more expansion than the 25mls... So I could see between temp flux and atmospheric pressure how a vacuum could form in a Barrel. Thoughts?

Draft saved Draft deleted