Aquarium filter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
I have an all-in-one wine pump and whole house filter. I've used the pentek P1 1-micron filters in the past.
In Canada I've had trouble finding them for a good price without having to double or triple the cost in shipping.
On Amazon I came across this:
https://www.amazon.ca/AquaFX-1-Micron-Sediment-Filter-10/dp/B004K7XBLY

Looks like it would fit, it's poly-blown instead of poly-spun, also 1 micron.
It says it's made "to FDA standards"

Any thoughts on using this for wine? I can get free shipping with prime which is nice.

I have an all-in-one wine pump and whole house filter. I've used the pentek P1 1-micron filters in the past.
In Canada I've had trouble finding them for a good price without having to double or triple the cost in shipping.
On Amazon I came across this:
https://www.amazon.ca/AquaFX-1-Micron-Sediment-Filter-10/dp/B004K7XBLY

Looks like it would fit, it's poly-blown instead of poly-spun, also 1 micron.
It says it's made "to FDA standards"

Any thoughts on using this for wine? I can get free shipping with prime which is nice.

If it's FDA approved, has the same filter size (1 micron), and you can get it easier, why not give it a shot??

That website does have cheap pricing, however unless you spend $100+ then it's $20 to ship. So now my two $5 filters are $30 instead of $10.
When I need more stuff I'll order from them, but hoping these work for one-offs.

I thought it was free shipping above 100 dollars , I will look into it personally
That website does have cheap pricing, however unless you spend $100+ then it's $20 to ship. So now my two $5 filters are $30 instead of $10.
When I need more stuff I'll order from them, but hoping these work for one-offs.

As a followup, this filter did not work well.
The star-san solution went through it ok, but when I tried to pull wine through it, it was going so slow, I was concerned it was going to create so much vacuum in the carboy it would cause it to implode. The wine was crystal clear before going into the filter, but after having the AIO pump running for 3 minutes, I still had nothing out of the filter and into the carboy yet.

not sure if the AIO is capable of creating enough vacuum to implode a carboy, but I didn't want to find out, so I switched to a standard 5 micron I had on hand, and it worked as normal.

I've done micron several times in the past and never had an issue, so I suspect it was just this filter design.

Latest posts

Back